How Do You Want Your Chicken Wings?

Unbreaded. Deep Fried. Plug for the best wings in the Atlanta area: Clay’s Sports Cafe (or facebook: Clay's Sports Cafe ).

However if I can’t make it to Clay’s I have a tradition on the eve of Thanksgiving to deep fry turkeys for whoever is willing bring one over; and to fill the time gaps we deep fry wings, sit around a fire, and chill. It’s a lot of fun. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, to answer the OP… Lemon Pepper is probably my favorite; but you can never go wrong with old school ‘hot’ wings. mmmmm mmmmm!

Since we’re talking about one of my favorite thigs, I’ll add a little more rambling, unorganized wing chat.

I probably prefer the flats a little more but I like the variety of having both on the plate.
I prefer a smaller wing to larger.
The new Ghost Pepper Blazin’ at BW3s is the first commonly available mass market prepared food that I’ve found to be too spicy. I can eat them (and have) but the pain to enjoyment ratio is nudged over the limit. They’ll give you a small cup on the side if you ask which is perfect.
Wingstop has been my carryout of choice lately.
I can take or leave blue cheese dressing and will dip a wing or two in it but never miss it if it isn’t there. No ranch, thanks.
Chicken wings almost always benefit from a brine.
Some cheap, otherwise terrible Chinese takeout places have decent wIngs. The ones I’ve tried are lightly dusted with five spice, battered and fried. Often, I’ll just splash on some Franks or sriracha.

I’ve seen it, too. It’s usually expressed something like ‘8 pc wings $9 (add $2 for all drums)’ rather than a separate menu item.

Until a year or so ago, I would have said classic Buffalo style; un-breaded, fired, 50/50 Frank’s Red Hot and butter.

But then I stopped at a little dive tavern near here that does grilled wings, and they are SO F’-in’ GOOD! I’m not sure what they do to them; as far as I can tell the seasonings consist of salt, pepper, and possibly paprika, but they are super addictive.

Buffalo style, a little spicy, with plenty of blue cheese dressing to dip in. Some coleslaw on the side and a big glass of ice water, or beer.

There used to be Sal’s Birdland back in the 70’s or 80’s - it may have been a chain. The wings were breaded and I can’t remember how they were cooked. With a yellow sweet sticky sauce flecked with hot red pepper. They really weren’t that good but even today I get a craving for the sauce. We used to get them and watch ‘Elvira Mistress of the Dark’ movies on late night tv, when we were young and carefree, lol.

As a DC native I would be remiss if I did not mention the ubiquitous fried wings with mumbo sauce, usually accompanied with either fried rice or fries, but can be purchased without. Can be had for about $5 from literally any Chinese/Asian carryout joint in the DC area, and seemingly absolutely nowhere else. It’s its own thing. I don’t even really think of it as “wings.”

I was intrigued by this “mumbo sauce” you speak of. So I just ordered a bottle off of Amazon.

It’s interesting. Here in Chicago we have Mumbo Sauce, too (although I suspect a lot of people are not aware of it). It’s a local barbecue sauce, usually labeled as “Agria B’s Mumbo sauce.” Here’s what it looks like.

I’m not entirely sure if it’s exactly the same thing as what they call Mumbo sauce in DC. From research I did awhile back, there’s claims Mumbo sauce originated in DC, but Agria’s Chicago Mumbo sauce predates it (going back to the 50s). So there is some speculation that the DC Mumbo sauce is a transplanted version of the Chicago Mumbo sauce.

I only bring this up to make sure you bought the DC product, in case there is some difference (and I assume there probably is.) Reading this Washington Post article, they do seem to be different, so make sure you bought something like Capital City Mumbo sauce if you want the DC thing.

There’s another place near me that does “Garbage Sauce skillet wings.” They fry them up normally, then mix all of their sauces, Buffalo, BBQ, Garlic Parm, Hot Garlic, toss the whole thing in a skillet with some blue cheese crumbles and Mozz and stick it in the salamander for a few minutes.

The cheeses and sauces all caramelize on the skillet. Outstanding.

Non-breaded. Classic buffalo is good, but I’m always game for hotter (ghost, insanity, nuclear,** suicide, etc.).

I don’t like raw carrots at all, so celery it is.

I’m a fan of both ranch and bleu, so bring both please.

As for drink? Bourbon. Of course, that’s my default answer for anything.

I prefer the flats to the drum-etts but don’t make a point of picking through the pile.

And “boneless wings” are an abomination. If I wanted a chicken mcnugget, I’d go to McDonalds.

**True story: In grad school we tried the “nuclear wings” from a local delivery service (“Pig Out”). There was much wailing and crying (“My lips are on fire!” “I can no longer feel my face!” “Oh God, what have I done!” etc.). Of course, the only way to abate the pain is to keep eating wings. Once you stop, the real torture sets in. We made Pig Out suicide wings a weekly tradition.

Of course an added twist is it’s not even remotely a consistent recipe here. Everyone agrees that “mumbo sauce” is a thick, sweet, tangy, sometimes slightly spicy sauce, but literally no two places make it exactly the same way. It’s definitely not ketchup, it’s not BBQ sauce, it’s not duck sauce or plum sauce, it’s not sweet-and-sour sauce; it exists at the intersection of a Venn diagram of all of them, but even then the definition is still pretty muddy. Capital City Mumbo sauce is probably as good as you’re going to find online.