How does one look young?

The man in the picture is indeed Gerhard Delling and he is 53 years old. I was surprised when I looked that up the other day. He also talks and has the demeanour of a much younger man.

As to Arnold, I think he hasn’t aged well . I wonder if he has any intention to take up serious exercise again now that he is no longer Governor. There are men in his age and older who look ripped.

My world fell apart when I saw these horrible poolside pictures of him a couple of years ago.

Lots of sleep, decent diet, stay active, stay relaxed as possible. Outside of genes, diet or drug use, stress is the number one thing that will add years to you.

Knowing that there’s going to be something peculiar about his age might be skewering my judgement, but I would say mid 50s.

My mother is 92, looks 72, and sounds about 42 on the phone.

Oh, I agree. Those guys are going down to the single digits and of course it makes you look ill. Female body builders look even worse when cutting, facially. It’s totally unnatural (and very unhealthy to put yourself through IMO).

When I said ‘keep body fat low’ I was talking about normal people. So around 20-25% for women, 10-15% for men.

Like I said, once you get heavy the first time, it’s usually never the same. I too have seen heavy people lose weight to achieve a more healthy/average BMI and body fat % only to end up with an aged-looking face out of proportion with the rest of them. I don’t remember ever noticing this with someone who has maintained a healthy weight their whole life. Wait - except for Maria Shriver.

We shall see what my birth family thinks in a few weeks when I visit them for the first time in a year (and 25 pounds ago), but even last year they all said the 35 pounds that I had dropped up to that point did make me look younger. And amazingly my skin seems to have rebounded quite nicely actually.

I wonder if some lab somewhere studying aging would be interested in me as a test case…

I have noted before that the average woman at 40 in 2012 looks years younger than a 40-year-old did just 25 years ago.
I suppose this is merely my bias, but it appears to be a bias shared by many others.

Can’t really argue with this. And I don’t think it’s all plastic surgery or anything. Perhaps better pregnancy care, more stable family lives, better food, less stress? Dunno.

Also, I think most people who lose weight do have a skin sagging problem afterwards. Maybe not when young enough that it’s still resilient, but as skin is one of the first things to show aging, I can’t imagine it’s very elastic after a certain point.

Losing bodyfat is a surefire way for me to look older than I do. To look young (face-wise), I need to sport a slightly flabby waist. Can’t win.

I went to a high school reunion a couple of years ago. One of the girls I had a secret crush on was there. At this time we are all about 58 yrs old. This girl was stunningly beautiful still, slightly overweight, maybe 20#, she had 10 kids, very strong spiritual faith, was an artist with many mediums, skulpture, landscapeing, interior design etc. She could have easily passed for early 30’s. Spirituality, normal physical excersice and creativity along with strong family and social ties are huge contributors to a youthful appearance.

I agree. Most big girls that I know have beautiful complexions.

it’s true.

I had weight loss surgery and while overall I’m glad I did it, my face does look older. what used to be basketball-shaped in now just droopy.

:frowning:

NOT, NOT, NOT hair dye!! So many male actors seem to think that having a mop of rich chestnut brown hair over a face with wrinkles and age spots will somehow make them look younger! It looks utterly ridiculous. I understand not wanting to go with their natural gray/white hair (although the ones who have look fantastic, IMO) (John Larroquette and the guy who plays Boris on Royal Pains come to mind, also a recent sighting of Gary Cole), but it needs to be at least believable. A 70-year old sporting the hair of a 16-year old (like, say, Sir Paul McCartney) makes me cringe. It looks like they are wearing a hair hat.