How does Oxi-Clean work? / Where's Didi-7 ?

I’ve seen the infomercials for oxi-clean, I get that it uses the magical powers of the air we breathe, but the water looks all foamy. Does that dissipate, or are you left with a bunch of squishy clothes?

I used to see the ads for Didi-7 as often as I now see them for Oxi-clean, but I havn’t seen one in years. How did it work and why isn’t it available anymore?

My dad actually bought some of that stuff. I’m told that it doesn’t work.

I picked up some Oxi-clean on clearance at Target. It works pretty well on stains, though it’s far from miraculous. My clothes were not ‘foamy.’ WAG: I’m pretty sure that in the commercial that shows dark water magically becoming white is faked. It looks like they’re pumping the dark water out and pumping white stuff (like diluted paint or milk or something) in from the bottom.

The stuff is being marketed conventionally now (i.e., not “As Seen On TV!!!”), so I suspect it’ll be around for a while, like Tarn-X.

Didi-7? Dexter’s gonna be pissed.

It’s this stuff:
http://www.seenontvonline.com/oxiclean.htm

It’s not a new idea. Any one have a bottle of it so you can see what’s in it on label?

IM unable as of yet to find out on the net what is in it.

Semi-Hijack

A friend from work said she saw some at Sam’s Club (a la no shipping charges) if you really want to buy some. This is in Dallas, by the way, so I don’t know if all Sam’s carry it.

Well, this page tells us that:

It’s a few clues, at least. I think I might still have a tube of Didi 7 in my cabinets somewhere; I wasn’t particularly impressed with it.

A CHALLENGE TO ANYONE & EVERYONE:

If anyone can step forward and name ONE infomercial-advertised cleaning product that actually possesses “miraculous” powers, I challenge you to identify it.

I don’t believe these claims, for the simple reason that anything with revolutionary cleaning powers would catch on like wildfire. These infomercial products are complete scams and ripoffs. Products live and die based on their effectiveness. Niche products remain in a niche because of their marginal effectiveness; otherwise the big boys would copy it and make a killing.

Same goes with those miracle shower cleaners that magically turn grimy shower grout into pearly white showcase specimens. No way, dude!

“Same goes with those miracle shower cleaners that magically turn grimy shower grout into pearly
white showcase specimens”

It does work, but then so does bleach, which is cheaper. If you look carefully at that commercial, they guy is scrubbing with one of those abrasive pads too (hint).

Restore4 and Zap2000 have both worked for me, just like in their infomercials. Outside of infomercials, C-L-R works just as advertised, and so does Tarn-X. I am also a fan of Brasso although I have not seen any recent commericials for it.

Oxi-Clean is exactly what it claims it is, an oxygen bleach. Unfortunately there is nothing new or exciting about oxygen bleach. It’s the same “color safe” or “all fabric bleach” that has been sold for years as Clorox 2.

Here is a link:

http://www.sdahq.org/laundry/fact/fact_sheet3.html

This explains that oxygen bleach combines with water to form hydrogen peroxide. Again, not anything new.

Does Oxi-Clean work? Yes, it works as well as Clorox 2. Also, oxygen bleaches work best with water at least 130 degrees. They don’t mention that in the informercials, do they?

Oxiclean is basically hydrogen peroxide and washing soda (sodium carbonate). A big bottle of peroxide is about $1; a 3 lb. box of washing soda is about $2.50.

A little tiny box of Oxiclean is $5!

Didi-7 is still sold, by catalog stores anyway. I’ve seen it advertised in several mail-order catalogs recently.

As to the “demonstrations” I do not believe they need to be “faked”, just carefully set up. Freshman chemistry class presented any number of ion exchange reactions in which colorful precipitates were formed or removed (i.e.dissolved). In fact I once saw a demonstration by a Princeton professor in which he made a solution that changed colors three times in succession as he stirred it. Presumably, the reactants and products of several competing equilibria gave this effect.

The cleaning and painting and cooking demos on TV are carefully created to show maximum effect. I once bought the miracle scratch remover to “remove” a scratch on my truck’s fender. I think it was a simple wax. The type of scratches it could “remove” (i.e.hide) were very shallow surface scratches, not deep gouges that went through the top-coat and color coat down into the primer and metal. I got my money back. Now I use an orbital buffer, polish and wax.

The tarnish removers that use a metal plate and solution to instantly remove tarnish and polish silverware like magic are demonstrated with light tarnish using hot solution and, in some cases, time-lapse photography.

Remember what Mom always said, “If it sounds too good to be true. It is.”