How does the Queen Elizabeth answer her phone

I image she has a special top secret line for friends & family, complete with caller i.d. She probably says “Hello.”

I am not a number… I am a free woman!

cue laughter

(the Village is bigger than you think)

The question was not how Queen Elizabeth answers her phone, but how the Queen Elizabeth answers her phone.

I’m going to guess one ear-splittingly loud blast.

Not sure if this is a record or not, but 43 posts in GQ and nothing resembling a correct answer? Surely someone must know the answer to the question. Where’s Cecil when you need him? Paging Ed Zotti.

I’m thinking that only a small handful of people very close to her actually get to speak with her at all. Everyone else would be directed toward some other relevant person. So she might say, after the caller is identified to her, “Hello, Philip” or Hello, Charles."

If she has a cellphone, one wonders what her ringtone is-well, besides, “God Save the Queen” or “Rule Britannia”. I shudder to think how Phillip probably answers the phone.

Wrong Albert*

*[sub]Edward VII’s first name was Albert, he was known as Prince Albert Edward publically until he took the throne, and his family called him “Bertie” all of his life. His father never smoked-and the tobacco brand is named in honor of the King, not his father.[/sub]

:smiley:

Alright, alright, fine. All we have to do is take over the world and instate me as Supreme Ruler and I’ll call her and see.

I seem to recall a Canadian DJ managed to prank call the Queen pretending to be the Canadian Prime Minister. Anyone know if there’s a transcript or recording or something along those lines?

According to John Warren, the Queen’s bloodstock and racing advisor, she will take a call from him “at any time, day or night” if it concerns the welfare of her horses.

I’m willing to bet that she’ll also readily accept calls from any of her five trainers.

I will assume she has a cell phone in her purse

:slight_smile:

(Which answers the question what does the queen keep in her purse?)

Lipstick. According to Jeremy Paxton in his book, On Royalty, when he sat next to her at a luncheon, she started fixing her lipstick towards the end of the meal. (That’s also when they let the corgis in and she started feeding them table scraps.

There’s a scene in the movie, The Queen, where she is shown driving alone on some royal estate (Balmoral, I think it was), and her car conks out in the middle of nowhere. She first takes a look under the hood to figure out what’s wrong (she’s a former mechanic, after all), then she takes a cell phone out of her purse and calls for help. I remember wondering if the Palace staff had special ring tones for when it was the Queen calling. I bet she never gets sent to voice mail.

This question has been sent to Cecil, and I’ve put it in the short pile for him to look at. I have no idea whether he’ll take it on, nor how long it might take.

If that’s the case, I’ll bet the temptation to abuse that would be fierce. (I’ve read that the Queen has a WICKED sense of humor)

I once saw a short video on the website of the Danish tourism authority about that country’s monarchy. To introduce Queen Margrethe, they had an aerial view of the palace with a telephone ringing, then they cut to the inside of her office – she picked up the phone and said Dronningen, which means “The Queen” but which I prefer to translate as “Queen here!”

This is the best I could do: http://www.nytimes.com/1995/10/29/world/allo-allo-ici-the-queen-who-s-this.html. I’ve read elsewhere that the Queen took it in good humor when she spoke to the very apologetic Canadian PM later, joking, “I thought your voice sounded slightly different, but I thought it might just have been because you were drunk.”

I’ve also read that the Queen has developed a stock line to use whenever the cellphone of a visitor goes off: “You’d better answer that. It might be someone important.”

Same way any normal person answers: “Wazzup my nigga?”

I hear that Prince Charles has never put toothpaste on his toothbrush in his life; when he goes to brush his teeth it’s just there ready. For all he knows it’s like that for everyone; that would explain his readiness to believe in superstitions like talking plants and homeopathy.

I would imagine a similar mechanism means that the Queen never herself answers the phone, it’s always passed her by The Third Phone-Wrangler Pursuivant or whoever.

“These are We” - one would assume she speaks The Queen’s English, after all.

Was it really worth doing essentially the same joke for the fourth time in this thread? :dubious:

Probably not if I had read the whole thread. I usually only read the first 5-10 replies though and I didn’t see it. Sorry.