How good a game will Super Bowl 2006 be?

Do you expect that the “Big Game” this Sunday will be one worth remembering, such as for instance the recent Texas-USC BCS national championship game was, or like the Super Bowl for the 1999-2000 was, when the Rams tackled the Tennessee player who was diving for a touchdown on the one foot line as time expired, or will it be a boring one known only for the commercials and the fact that no dead bodies have turned up in Detroit near the game site yet.

I don’t expect it to be nearly as interesting as the recent Rose Bowl was, because I think the game will be close and because close NFL games often get decided by deadly dull field goals rather than touchdowns or great tackles.

What do y’all think?

I’ve done some research and the average spread of the Superbowl is a tad over 15 points. It’s a good bet that we’ll see a blowout.

Even if it is close, and I hope that it is, it’ll be nice to see a kicker other than Adam Vinatieri kick the winning goal.

Sorry we’re only up to Super Bowl 40. I don’t know if the game will make it 2006 incarnations. :slight_smile:

I think Super Bowl 2006 will be played by robots, and will be spectacularly excellent.

I’m thinking it will be a good game. There is a lot of parity in the NFL and the past few Super Bowls have been good games, with the exception of the boring Tampa Bay/Oakland game.

I think both teams legitimately deserve to be there this time, something that’s not always the case. In my mind Pitt has the edge but the performances, or lack thereof, of either Rothlisburger or Alexander could provide an adequate amount of swing to overcome that advantage. I think it’ll be a good one. Because of that, we’ve kept our guest list low. Heck, I want to actually watch the damn thing.

And you can tell’em you heard it here first.

Figure that both teams will come out flat. Roethlisberger and Hasselbeck will both have the big-game jitters and not be very productive the first few series. Count on several three-and-out series for both teams, with nothing spectacular on either special teams units and the score after Quarter 1 will be 3-0 either way.
Second quarter and Pittsburgh will open thing up some more. Bettis, riding on the emotional high of this being his last game, playing in front of his “home” crowd and blah, blah, blah, will put up big numbers before he tires later in the game. Expect Seattle to counter and at half time, the score will be 17 -14.

Both coaches are excellent half-time strategists. Expect both defenses to blitz more and the team that can make the more accurate hot read will decide the game in the third quarter. If Shaun Alexander breaks free (he’ll have fewer than 30 yards in the first half) he’ll score on a long run and swing the momentum toward Seattle. If Roethlisberger doesn’t succumb to the pressure he will dump-off pass to Randle El or hit Hines Ward for a big gain. Expect one team to score two touchdowns in the third quarter. Score it 31 – 24.

Fourth quarter will find both teams trying to control the clock and be on top after one final push. Here –Surprise!- Seattle will demonstrate its wholly underrated defense and control field position with at least one turnover and expect Bettis to tire and Alexander to launch one final big gain with the final score being Seattle 41 – Pittsburgh 31 in a surprisingly high scoring Super Bowl.

And remember, you heard it here first.

Then again, if Seattle’s special teams units play like they did against Washington this whole prediction is in the toilet and it’s anyone’s balls game.

Such is sports.

On the other hand, three of the last Super Bowls have been decided by exactly three points. (And Super Bowl XXIV was pretty damn good, too.) There are always mini-trends. :slight_smile: We’ve got two good teams this year and I think this one will be decided by about four points.

I predict that this Super Bowl will be the first to go into overtime.

Oh, BTW, Peter King has predicted a Steelers victory, so you can pretty much bet the house on the Seahawks.

Yeah, the numbers are a wee bit skewed by some blowouts by the 49ers and Cowboys. Oh, those crazy late 80’s/early 90’s!

I had to look it up to see what you were talking about for Super Bowl 24 (xxiv) and I have to say that objectively speaking, unless you’re a 49ers’ fan or a Broncos’ hater it wasn’t too good a game. SF 55, Den. 10.

By may way of reckoning 5 of the last 10 Super Bowls have been entertaining games to watch. Super Bowl 14 back in January 1980 was very entertaining, even though the Pittsburgh 31, LA Rams 19 score looks to be a blowout, but keep in mind that the Rams (who were heavy underdogs) had the lead 19-17 going into the 4th quarter. The 12 point margin belied the actual closeness of the game.

That was supposed to be XXXIV, Rams vs. Titans, which had a big comeback and some exciting late drives, and ended with Kevin Dyson being tackled a yard short of the end zone on the game’s final play. Rams 23, Titans 16.

I remember that game like it was last week. I was 12 years old and a big Rams fan, and after a 9-7 season they very scrappily got past Dallas (21-19) and, of all people, Tampa Bay (9-0) to make their first Super Bowl. Pittsburgh’s John Stallworth broke their spirit in the 4th quarter with an amazing catch from Bradshaw (something like 70 yards) to put the Steelers ahead 24-19; then he did it again to rack up the final score.

I predict it will be a close game until a zebra tries to give the game to one team via a spectacularly bad call.

I predict in this case, unlike the Steelers vs. Colts game, the fans will riot and lynch the zebra, hanging him from the goal posts, whilst fighting off the opposing team’s fans and the cops.

The actual result of the game will be far overshadowed by these events, and by the league’s resulting major changes in certifying/qualifying of the referees.

My prediction, based on no research at all but a lifetime of watching NFL games, is that the Steelers are going to wipe the floor with the Seahawks. I don’t have any solid knowledge behind this prediction; it’s just that that’s the only outcome I can realistically picture in my mind.

A good, close, high-scoring game would make me happy, of course, but I go to a party/chili cookoff during the Super Bowl every year, so it’s always a good time regardless of what happens on the field.