How hard could it be to make computers stable?

The most secure computer is one that is not connected to the internet at all. That is why I recommend Telstra ASDL.

Even if they could, what incentive would they have to do so? Stable computers wouldn’t crash as often. They wouldn’t get viruses. If they didn’t crash or get viruses how the hell are they supposed to sell you the newest OS with all the newest secuirty bells and whistles, and the newest virus protection? You wouldn’t even have morons completely killing their computer (so they think) buying brand new ones because they can’t figure out how to re-write their hard drives. Unless they’re going to charge you $5,000 for this new uncrashable computer, they’d lose money. Lots of it.

If you’re using Windows, you deserve all the viruses, spam, and spyware you get.

So much for Mac users not being tools. I knew it wouldn’t last. :rolleyes:

So what mythical operating system can I use that actually has games availible?

Aww, come on. Mac user get the big games…the following year. :smiley:

Hey, I’m a Mac user and I’ve got games!!

Look here!! I’ve got The Uninvited, and I’ve got Déja Vu, and I’ve got Leather Goddesses of Phobos. And Stunt Copter! What else? Oh yeah, Chrismas Lemmings! And Jeopardy, too! But best of all, I’ve got Hearts Deluxe and I can play it any time I want.

:stuck_out_tongue: nyaah nyaa na naaaa na!

Aaah yes, the latest games…

Apart from Microsoft Train Simulator (coz I’m an anorak nerd), I didn’t have any. Not until last night, when nostalgia made me download The Incredible Machine. Only upon download did I realise the code is twelve years old!. Still cool though.

I don’t think the availability of the latest games is going to be a bother for me. I just want a stable platform.

Let’s see… on this here Linux machine, I’ve been playing Unreal Tournament 2004 (2003 and the original UT run, too), Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Enemy Territory. Also available: Everything on this list, most of the games on this list (these run under WineX, look around the site for details), lots of old Sierra, LucasArts adventure games and other DOS games via Sarien/FreeSCI , ScummVM and DOSBox respectively, Flash games via your browser, MUDs/MUSHes/MUCKs/MOOs via telnet or ssh, and there’s even solitaire. Oh, and of course Id and Epic support Linux very well, and Doom III and the next installments of Unreal will be playable under it.

You may not be able to play all the games under the sun, but we’re getting there.

EsotericEnigma wrote

I’m afraid it’s very very hard. And I’m afraid your post makes clear you really don’t understand what the problems are and what’s required to solve them.

However, careful usage will make it so you suffer none of the problems you describe. As one example, I (and a lot of other security people) scoff at anyone who gets a virus. Perhaps people who get viruses don’t deserve them, but they certainly bring them on themselves.

According to one of the security newsletters I read (SANS), this has just been patched.

And, so?

So there are more than a few PC users who buy a new PC and it dies within three days. Do we then conclude that all PCs are no good? Nope.

Regarding the OP, yes, it is frustrating, and yes, I am glad that I do most of my web surfing on my G4 running OS X. It makes for a much more peaceful browsing experience. When I’m on my PC, I stay away from Interent Explorer as much as possible. I also update my anti-virus and Windows regularly. So far, so good.

But to be honest, it’s just so much more peaceful to just surf on my Mac.

This is only a problem for those who don’t enjoy a good round of SpyBot. I love hunting down those little devils! Kill, kill! It’s quite cleansing actually. And if I need a good Spybot fix, I just hop on over to my parents computer. It never fails to have hundreds of little snacks for SpyBot.

GO SpyBot GO! Search and destroy!!

Oh yeah, it’s a sickness…

Not always. The virus has to spread a bit before the virus software makers can create an update. The people first hit before it’s a known threat might not have done anything to “bring it on themselves”. They may have simply opened an email from a co-worker, an action they must do for their job.

…that way your OS manufacturer will just deny all the gaping holes in their security.

:rolleyes:

Wow! That’s gotta be high on the most disingenious pile of lies I’ve seen here in a while. Way to spread the ignorance and bullshit nice and thick.

No need to worry too much. SP2 for XP has a firewall integrated that is supposedly just as good as Zone Alarm Pro, but without some of it’s annoying traits. It’s in the beta stage right now (a friend of mine has it) and should be a nice addition.

Basandre:

Really?

::runs Software Update::

Well, hello Security Update 2004-06-07! Yep, that’s what it purports to fix, all right! Any application process being launched for the first time will require your OK. Very nice.

Revtim wrote

You’re correct, there certainly are some percentage of people who have been hit like this.

But the vast majority – and I do mean the vast majority – got infected because they opened some attachment called “hot-lesbian-love.exe” or such. Even the ones from co-workers require executing something. Yes, I’m aware of word viruses and javascript in email before that was automatically disabled, etc. But the vast majority of infections are self-inflicted. They’re like getting taken by some Nairobi con artist. The only way you get taken is if you get caught up in your own greed. Same with viruses: no matter how curious you are, don’t open that picture of Anna Kournikova’s boobies, and you’ll be fine.

Cite?