How hard is it to drive a scooter?

::Raises Hand::

I didn’t get killed or maimed, but damned close. It was my motorcycle. 750cc, probably, what six or seven hundred pounds so well out of the league or a scooter. Anyways, I had tooled around in my subdivision for a few days and was ready to take it out on the main (4 lane, 40mph) road. I got up to the stop sign, waited for an opening when there was NO cars at all coming from my left, hit the gas, leaned to the right (I was turning right) and made the turn so wide I went across both of my lanes about three feet into oncoming traffic. :eek::eek::eek:. I was very, very lucky the car coming saw me and moved out of the way and I got back into my lane (not the one I chose, but still. The rest of the trip was uneventful. It took me quite a while, probably the rest of the summer to master that turn. I did take the MSF class, but one thing they never teach you, and I wish they would, is how to make a right turn from a stop. It’s a very common maneuver, but for a beginner it’s very hard to get up enough speed AND make a tight turn at the same time.
Some of it just took confidence, but there is some technique in there. Like I said, it’s something that should have been taught in the class.

I can’t quickly find a motorcycle class in Italy, but I can’t imagine you guys have that many scooters flying around and no one teaching anyone. Some people have to want someone to teach them (or teach their kids). Googling from your end might yield better results (localization and all that).

I ALWAYS recommend people taking the MSF class (Motorcycle Safety Foundation). It’s not that expensive (at least around here) and you get a lot of hands on experience with very experienced riders keeping a very close eye on you. After you’re done, not counting all the miliage and confidence you’ll lack, you’ll be a much safer rider then most others on the road.

Oh! Oh! I want to respond to this!! <waiving hand>. I’m at work and don’t have the time, but will log on when I get home tonight.

Psh, what makes YOU think you have the qualifications?

Assuming his route home doesn’t take him on any Autostrade, he should be fine. 100cc is more than adequate for most around-town riding.

There is a difference between bicycle and scooter, mainly the weight of the bicycle. The bcycle probably weighs 1/10 of what you weigh, whereas the scooter will weigh more than you. Counter steering works because of centrifugal force, a force that increases the faster you go. You might get away with leaning on the bicycle, but that won’t work out as well on the scooter.

If you have time before you ride the scooter, get out on the bicycle, get up to speed, then press with your right hand on the handle bars (push right, go right). Do not shift your weight. You will be amazed on how much easier it is to steer a fast moving two wheel thing by using counter steering.

And a note on scooter handling vs motorcycle handling - other than the weight of the bike, the probability that the scooter has an automatic transmission, and the usually smaller tires, the handling between the two is pretty much the same.

By “push right” - do you mean “turn handlebars toward starboard” or simply “apply lateral force to handlebars facing straight forward”?

No scooter, haven’t ridden a bike in 40+ years.

OP: Is this a private party selling the scooter, or is is a Dealership? A dealership should have names and numbers on teachers; a private seller may be more flexible about your coming over and practicing, and then leaving it with the seller until you are really ready, not just “as long as noting happens, I’m fine”.
Would it be possible to lock it up outside the seller’s place and come by as weather, time, and (most importantly) temperament allow?

Echo what **Flight **said. I was dubious till you said you ride the route regularly by bike. Scooters are so damn easy, once you’ve figured out the basic accelerate/brake positions (which is going to take all of about ten minutes in a quiet street) and done some turns to get a feel for the weight, it’s easy. It’s going to be like riding your bike home except with power on tap without leg effort…

It’s a private sale. I’m sure I’ll be able convince the guy to get up very early to get the thing out of the garage and hand me the keys so I can avoid the rush hour. He can just open the door, hand keys and go back to sleep. But he doesn’t have a van and nor it that his problem, the price is decent.

Ha! Please do! I’m a “girl” too. Or well, a woman. Perhaps I can change my username to “Scooterwoman”. :slight_smile:

Thought of this actually, but though the neighbourhood is okay enough, people generally don’t leave scooters out when they can avoid it in my town as it’s a bit too tempting for thieves.

Yes, I think so too. The top speed of the thing is about 80kph (about 50mph). That’s way more than I would want to ever do around town. I did opt for 100 cc and not 50 cc for this exact reason - to be able to keep up with traffic and accelerate out of trouble if needs be.

Not allowed on the autostrada even if I wanted to. Which I don’t! :eek:

Unfortunately, counter steering is not intuitive unless you get on the two wheel vehicle and try it. It is probably best to avoid using terminology that could further confuse the rider. But since you asked:

I mean push/press the handle bar with your right hand as if you wanted to turn the front wheel to the left. You will start leaning to the right. More pressing means you will start turning. More pressing again, and your turn becomes sharper. (To remember this: Push right, go right. Push left, go left.)

It is actually fun to go down the road and alternately (and gently) press/push with each hand, which causes the bike to wobble back and fourth. You will see that counter steering really does work.

Unfortunately, motorcycle riding courses do not always emphasize counter steering (or it does not sink in), since the courses are generally low speed manuevering where counter steering does not work. I have known riders who have had a “wow” moment when they finally discover counter steering, even when those riders have years of experience on bikes (they were counter steering already, they just did not know it).

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m surprised at the number of people who recommend just getting on it and learning as you go. Two of the most important things haven’t (afaik) been touched on: emergency braking and evasive maneuvering. You want to know what hard braking feels like and how not to lock up your wheels, assuming the scooter doesn’t have ABS. Swerving around in a parking lot will at least get you familiar with the scooter’s handling characteristics.
Good luck!

Absolutely! I highlighted your sentence. You need to learn this very soon after you start riding. You do not want to find out what braking hard feels like when you are in the moment. So get to know your scooter and all aspects of maneuvering in a safe no traffic area first.

With that said…

I can see that you’ve received a lot of good advice already. So I’ll try to avoid sounding redundant. Riding a twist-n-go (an automatic) is definitely easier than a manual. There’s less to think about when it comes to the actual operating of the machine, but the principles of safe riding are pretty much the same for any scooter or motorcycle. I ride a Vespa GT200, but my previous scoot was a Yamaha Vino 125cc and the one before that a Honda Metropolitan with only 49cc. I’ve also ridden a Stella 150 - that’s a manual.

Not sure how much you weigh, but your Scarabeo 100 has enough pick-up and go to keep up with traffic, which is a good thing. And larger wheels, which makes for a smooth ride. You have a good scoot, PookahMacPhellimery! And you live in Italy!!!

I agree with other posters about starting in a low traffic area if you have never being on a scooter or motorcycle before. No 2-up until you are absolutely comfortable and have some kilometers under your belt. And then only with a passenger who won’t do things like lean in the opposite direction of a turn or wiggle on the seat like a hyper child. It changes your center of gravity and stopping distance. And it is a grave responsibility that you should only take on once you’re an experienced rider.

It’s worth repeating no sandals or flip-flops! I cringe when I see this.

Some things to keep in mind - always pay attention to everything around you. Even a short distraction can get you in trouble. Traffic flow and rules of the road goes without saying, but other things like - potholes and potential critters crossing roads – they are totally unpredictable.

When passing a vehicle, try not to stay in the blind spot for too long. The most common thing you will hear from motorists when accidents happen is: “ But I didn’t see her/him.”
You are lucky to live in a place where scooters are very common, but just keep in mind that it is up to you to not make dumb moves.

Own your lane, baby! If you move too much to the side, drivers will think they can pass you in your lane. This can leave you pretty vulnerable. I do get that it’s different in Italy. Also, I’m sure you’ve seen that you can split lanes there, and are probably expected to. I wish I could split lanes. It’s illegal in Oregon where I’m living. Get very familiar with riding before you do this. It’s not exactly a safe practice. Especially if you are inexperienced, which you will be …for a while, and perhaps a long while, depending on how much you decide to ride.

Sewer covers when wet are a hazard, especially when turning. Also painted lines. Approach them with care.

Your manual will have a lot of helpful hints – read it. Take a class. You will learn a lot by doing so. I did not. I did consider it, though.When I started I just rode, all the time. Still do.The more you ride the better you get. And yes, you will make some mistakes, but you will learn from them. The trick is to not make monumental ones that can get you (or others) hurt or killed.

Often people who have been driving cars for a long time go on auto-mode. Everything becomes so second nature that they get distracted. To top that off drivers do all sorts of stupid shit to make the roads unsafe. I’m sure I don’t have to go over what they are.

You cannot afford to do this on a motorcycle or scooter. Stay alert. Get to know your ride like you would a lover. Meaning in an intimate way.
Start with knowing where all the controls are, then use them without having to take your eyes off the road. Get to know its stopping and acceleration power under all conditions,etc. I could go on, but need to get ready for work. PM me if you like.

Oh and, PookahMacPhellimey, have fun!! Ride, ride like the wind! But stay on your toes, always.

I sure hope that Arrendajo responds to you. He’s an experienced scooterist also and will have some good advice for you.

I’ve put on thousands of miles between my three scooters. It can be done safely while having a lot of fun. Expect to not feel too comfortable at first.
Stay safe. Good luck!

Also watch for accumulated grease and gunk. It’s especially prevalent at the center of the lanes at intersections where cars are often stopped and their fluids drip out. Same goes for drive- thrus (if you have those).
Motorcycle anecdote: I was at an intersection waiting to turn left. Rapidly approaching was a big truck. I thought, “if I gas it I can go ahead of the truck”. But I waited, and when I did go, I spun out in a puddle of oil. The truck would have had no chance of avoiding creaming me. Moral: watch your road like a hawk.

One more thing! I don’t know if you are the kind of gal who will do some of your own maintenance, but at the very very least - learn where things are and what they do. I’m still learning some of that as I work and replace different parts when needed.

Learn how to check your oil level, tire psi, coolant, etc.

OK, now I really gotta run…and scoot to work!!

Yep ^. And learn how to steer away from trouble on a dime. It can save your life. Check your tires routinely, too. And give yourself space between cars. If a driver is on your butt - it will happen often - stay calm, change lanes if need be to get away from them.

I’m back again :). Wind conditions are also a factor to keep in mind. I was riding with my guy not long ago. We were on a country road with wide open farming spaces on each side. It was gusty. All of a sudden out of nowhere I felt my scooter being pulled to the side (center of the road). I actually almost went over the yellow line as I was fighting the pull. My boyfriend got taken passed it even though he could see what was happening - I was in front of him. I looked in my mirror as soon as it was safe to do it and watched him drift. Yikes! Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. This is not too common, but it can happen. What to do: you slow down, keep steady hands and arms, fight the pull as much as possible but without yanking and be ready for it to stop suddenly. I’m not trying to scare you. But as you can see from all the responses, there’s a lot to keep in mind. More than people even realize.