How hard is it to drive a scooter?

Okay, so I’ve bought a scooter. A 100cc Scarabeo. It’s automatic, basically turn the key and go. Thing is, it’s at the other end of town and to get it home I’d have to drive it over two busy fly-overs and kind of around the edges of the centre. I live in a medium sized European town*. I know the town very well, as I do this route very often on a bicycle. But I’ve never driven a scooter before so it’s a bit of a trial by fire. The alternative is to hire a van, get the scooter home, and practice a bit in my own time, on a quiet road. But this costs money, and since I want to drive the thing eventually anyway, I’d rather not spend it.

So, does anyone have a scooter and want to give their opinion? Could I drive it home after a few test runs around the vendor’s neighbourhood? Or should I suck it up and rent a van? I’d particularly like to hear from Europeans, since I think American towns are set up very differently, but I any perspective appreciated.

p.s. For insurance reasons I’m not allowed to let anyone else do the driving. I may, however, take a passenger. So I could also take a more experienced friend (which I have) to help and advise. Though I fear it might make me more rather than less nervous to have someone advising in my ear, and I think the drive itself is harder with a passenger.

*I live in Italy, but in the north. Don’t imagine Rome or Naples style chaos. Do imagine busy city traffic.

Get the van. Practice where it’s quiet.

You need to be beyond “where’s the _____________? on this damn thing?” before tangling with traffic.

I had never ridden a scooter or motorcycle before and rented one for a day. If you are a moderately competent individual, then 10 minutes around the parking lot and you should be fine. They are remarkably easy. You do need self confidence to turn as aggressively as needed though. I have seen a couple people unwilling to lean heavy enough to make a turn and drift into a curb.

My Italian friends are all like: “Just drive it home, it’s easy”. But they all drive scooters as soon as they are sixteen.

Go early in the morning or when the traffic is lightest. Just take your time and go slowly, you’ll make it.

First off: Cooooool! That sounds like it’s going to be a ton of fun.

Anyways, like Flight said riding an automatic scooter isn’t terribly difficult if you can ride a bicycle. Negotiating traffic can be a little different, especially if you’re in a place where you’re allowed and expected to lane split.

You probably don’t want a passenger your first time, but if you or your friend has a car it might be a good idea to have them drive behind you on the way home so they can kind of control the flow of traffic a bit and will be there to help if you do have any problems. If waiting until later when there’s less traffic is an option, that’d be a good idea too.

You might also consider taking a riding class at some point if that’s available around you. People think of scooters as cute and slow and not all that dangerous, but a 100cc one is plenty to get you in trouble. Learning to do some basic emergency maneuvers would be a good idea if you’re going to be using it every day.

As a motorcycle rider (and I don’t know if that translates to scooter or not), I’d say that you really don’t want to tangle with traffic on your first day.

You don’t even need a van, if you have a friend with a pick up, you can just toss it in the back. The thing only weighs 200#. Hell, you could put it in the back of a car with a big enough trunk if you really needed to (but I’d avoid that option). Or, even better, find someone that knows how to drive a scooter and give them $20 or lunch or something to get it to your house for you.

Also, I know it looks dumb, but you should wear safety gear on a scooter. People always say ‘but they’re going so much slower’. Nope, when I’m going 30 on my motorcycle and they’re going 30 on their scooter, we’re going the same speed. Who’s going to do better in highside rollover (even just because you lockup a wheel)? The biker wearing pants, shoes and a helmet or the person on the scooter wearing flip flops? To be honest, I don’t care if you wear a helmet or not, it’s the flip flops that bug me the most. It’s like they’re trying to be stupid.

Anyways, yeah, if you’ve never ridden, don’t try to get all the way across town on your first try. Your first day out is meant for, like, around the block a few times on a Tuesday at 10:30 in the morning when there’s no traffic.
ETA, it should be noted that I tend to over think things and you’ll probably be fine just hopping on and riding home.

Yes, I think so too! I have both picturesque hills and beach in driving reach. Though I need it for work too.

I’d totally take a driving class, but very much doubt that exists here, but as I said before, Italians tear around these things like maniacs as soon as they hit there teens. And in some places earlier (illegally).

[QUOTE=Joey P;17798989

Also, I know it looks dumb, but you should wear safety gear on a scooter. People always say ‘but they’re going so much slower’. Nope, when I’m going 30 on my motorcycle and they’re going 30 on their scooter, we’re going the same speed. Who’s going to do better in highside rollover (even just because you lockup a wheel)? The biker wearing pants, shoes and a helmet or the person on the scooter wearing flip flops? To be honest, I don’t care if you wear a helmet or not, it’s the flip flops that bug me the most. It’s like they’re trying to be stupid.

[/QUOTE]

And it’s not the 30 mph forward (abrasions are bad enough) that can get you. It’s the vertical drop your head takes that can generate enough speed for a fatal head injury.

Re the safety gear. I see plenty of people in sandals, high heels, flip-flops and the like, but helmets are compulsory here, so I will absolutely wear one.

I have many friends who would and could drive it home for me, but the insurance won’t let anyone drive it but me (or me with a passenger). If I want to change that I’d pay a bomb.

Pick-ups, in Europe, unfortunately in short supply. We all have little toy Euro-cars. And scooters. :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for input. I think if I do this at all, doing it early in the morning is probably a good plan and I think the guy I’m buying off should be fine with that.

Yeah, I figure there’s not a scooter class (and that you’d be laughed at for even suggesting such a thing) but I’ll bet there’s some sort of basic motorcycle classes. Even if you never intend to move up to anything bigger, the skills are still applicable.

I had a scooter for several years. It was ridiculously easy to drive. I was probably fully competent on the thing within minutes - already being familiar with bicycles and cars meant that there was almost nothing to learn about the scooter.

I’d just avoid rush hour your first day, and go ahead and tool around the block or parking lot a couple of times to get comfortable. Those things don’t have a learning curve anywhere near as difficult as a motorcycle (lacking the power, complexity, and weight).

Accelerating from a stop can be a little daunting to learn at first, but most scooters don’t have enough power to cause much concern there. Just be gentle at first, and by the time you get home you’ll be an old pro.

Look out when you’re starting up or maneuvering - it only takes a tiny twist of the throttle to get going, so until you’re used to it it’s probably better to always start up in a straight line with plenty of room in front of you.

Have fun !

I used to have one. I drove it home that day. It’s a fairly straightforward process, but obviously it’s more a matter of how quickly you pick things up.

A surprising number of folks maim or kill themselves in that first 1/2 mile (or first kilometer) of their two wheel riding experience. Granted its usually on larger, heavier bikes, but still. Its the steering that gets them. At speeds more than 6 mph (10 kph) you have to counter steer to get the bike to turn properly. Counter steering means you actually push the front wheel to the left when you want to go right. (This works the same way on a bicycle as well, assuming you are going fast enough.)

Question: Would the insurance company allow a one day waiver to allow a competent rider take it home? Might not be all that expensive for a one day waiver.

DO NOT take a passenger. You are already risking life and limb as a new rider, do not endanger someone else as well. Also, the added weight of the passenger will destablelize the bike, making it that much harder to operate.

Whats the cost of getting a light trailer for a day?

Hmmm, never heard of the counter steering thing, so I read the wikipedia entry but not sure I get it. I suppose I must be doing it automatically on the bicycle all the time since I often ride at those speeds.

Anway, taking no passenger makes sense. As for the insurance, I might ask, but I kind of doubt they are going to be flexible. Worth a try, though.

Haven’t checked out the costs of vans, trailers and such. Basically, been too busy jumping through various bureaucratic hoops to get this things to be mine and insurable. Italy: beautiful country, but nothing’s ever easy.

I have no idea if you’ll hurt yourself on the thing, but I would recommend picking it up some time when traffic should be fairly light and practicing in a neighborhood before hitting traffic. Also don’t be afraid to stop and get out of the road if things aren’t going as well as you’d like.

And wearing gear doesn’t have to mean full leathers and a neck brace. Helmet, jacket, gloves, and jeans. And yes, real shoes. You could very likely fit everything but the riding jacket in your trunk if you want to change at your destination. And everyone looks good in a riding jacket!

Most salesmen will jump through hoops to make a sale. I know car salesman here in my home town will.

I suspect the people at the scooter dealership would arrange for their “flunkies” to deliver the scooter to your home.

Don’t drive it home. It is very small and IMHO the smaller the more dangerous. I don’t know the traffic in you area but 100 CC is very weak and may not be able to keep up with cars which will encourage drivers to go around you. Being clipped while being passed is not unheard of.

I live in the land of scooters where 75-year-old grandmas are zipping around on their machines here in Taiwan.

If you can ride a bicycle, you can ride a scooter. You don’t want to have someone riding on your first trip, but it may be good to have a wingman along who have ride ahead of you.