How has the disgraced former President Trump pissed you off today?

Or we could talk to that guy in the news from Michigan. I hear he’s a dab hand with explosives.

Was. -

Oh come now, when it comes to explosives and golf courses, there is only one man for the job: https://static.onecms.io/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/12/000048612-2000.jpg

If you don’t want to open the link: Bill Murray from Caddyshack

I rather we NOT use any political capital we may have over something this minor. It would only make us look petty.

What political capital? Presumably there’s a body tasked with enforcing these laws. Enforce them.

Nobody who isn’t already in the MAGA camp will mind, and it might make a fence-sitter here or there wake up to the fact that Trump is nothing but a grifter.

Replace “challenges” with “ignores”.

At which point the government comes back with an official, “No, really, we mean it.”

Did you see that the commission has presented evidence that two paramilitary groups - the Oath Keepers and the Proud Boys - met up and formed a premeditated plan to use the mob to infiltrate the Capitol, where they were armed and presumably prepared to kill members of Congress? It was also most certainly not a spur of the moment thing, and was organized in advance.

There may be precedent to charge them with treason then. But I very much doubt it.

The last time something similar occurred that led to a treason conviction, it was during the Battle of Blair Mountain in 1921. But that involved an actual army (of 10,000 armed coal miners) with shots exchanged, and the U.S. Army had to intervene to stop it.

In the end, only one person in that entire group was convicted of treason, Walter Allen. He was sentenced to 10 years but later skipped bail while awaiting an appeal to the Supreme Court.

Prior to that, there was John Brown and one accomplice who were convicted of treason and executed for their roles in the Raid on Harper’s Ferry. That was way back in 1859. It also involved conflict between the military (in this case, the U.S. Marines) and a group of armed combatants (22 people trying to start a slave rebellion).

I wouldn’t expect that what happened on January 6 rises to the level of the previous incident from the 20th and 19th centuries, so don’t expect to see treason charges. Treason in the past has involved taking sides against the country in an actual armed conflict between the United States and an organized military group (whether domestic or a foreign power). There was no military conflict in this case, just a group of rioters that clashed with law enforcement.

Still, I expected seditious conspiracy to be plausible and that has been brought up, so I’m glad that they are taking this more seriously than calling it “trespassing” or the like.

The leaders of these two militia groups are in prison awaiting trial on criminal charges, but not quite treason.

From my cite upthread:

Replace the seal with this version – since it isn’t the actual Presidential seal, it’s legal, and it even fits the golf theme.

President Trump gave a speech this week at the conservative Turning Point USA student summit, unaware that he was standing in front of an altered presidential seal that featured a Russian symbol, an eagle holding golf clubs, and the words “45 is a puppet” in Spanish…

Yup, seditious conspiracy. That’s what I’d hoped they’d nail them with. They could get 20 years for that.

Where have you found a “fence-sitter” in the last six years?

Out of ~160 million voters, there are bound to be a handful who could actually go either way (or sit out the next round entirely). You never know what will tip the scales for them one way or another.

Well, judging by Trump’s vote in 2016 vs. in 2020 there are no fence-sitters anymore on either side. There are only those who are motivated to get off their asses and vote every four years.

And this fall, between inflation in general and gas prices in particular, they will sell their birthright for a mess of pottage because “both sides are alike.”

This is the man millions adore and want to put back in the White House???

Fuck.

As you know all too well, “the cruelty is the point.”

Maybe they can stop at Mackenzie Kate’s and pick up some tap dancing shoes for those Covid bodies.

After that video, we can all know he’ll be back in the WH. Like Homer Simpson voting for “Ball in the Groin!! Ball in the Groin!” (Not to discredit HS in any way)!

Always lies (how much golf he’ll play, taxes going down, etc), “ I will arrest everyone you hate (cheers) and prosecute the (cheers) and execute them (bigger cheers) and we will bring back America from the Communists Bideners, yadda yadda yadda…”

None of that will happen, but plenty of votes on words will happen.

Get ready to welcome President DeSantis. :grin:

Argh. They are setting up a Cheatoh rally so close to my house that I can already see the lights from my yard. The merchandisers with their “F*ck Biden” and “Let’s Go Brandon” crap have tents set up in a parking lot across from the local mall. <barf>