How I bought a gun?

GQ material… wait for it.

On the TV show “How I Met Your Mother”, Robin is a Canadian (she later becomes an American citizen) living in New York City. She is also a gun nut and is seen with guns in her home. I’m assuming that she isn’t borrowing them and that they are registered in her name.

Can a foreigner own a gun in New York (or any other state, for that matter)?

A lawful permanent resident may own and posses firearms in the USA. To purchase firearms they must also be a resident of the state in which they are buying it. The state resident rule also applies to citizens, so that isn’t unique to aliens.

New York City (where I believe “How I Met Your Mother” is set) is a bit different than the rest of the country.

It’s very, very hard to get a permit for a handgun. It’s pretty much impossible to get a permit to carry a gun, and, from what I understand, almost as hard to get a permit to keep a handgun in your home.

New York City (where I believe “How I Met Your Mother” is set) is a bit different than the rest of the country.

It’s very, very hard to get a permit for a handgun. It’s pretty much impossible to get a permit to carry a gun, and, from what I understand, almost as hard to get a permit to keep a handgun in your home.

New York city, where the posts are so nice, they make them twice.

As indicated, New York City, Washington D.C., Chicago and a few other places make it difficult for most people to own handguns legally. That may change based on a rather recent Supreme Court decision that threatens some of these quasi-bans and the right lawsuits go through the process. However, in most of the U.S., a law abiding citizen or permanent resident can own handguns as long as they go through the correct procedures which often includes some minimum degree of training. That varies by state and sometimes locality. If the show were set anywhere else in the U.S., it would be completely believable.

Pretty much true for handguns, not so much for long guns. In general, long guns may be purchased in non resident states.

As difficult as it may be to get a permit in NYC, a non-citizen legal immigrant is no more restricted from the permit than a citizen.

Maybe Robin lived in Dallas, TX for a while, where she purchased her handguns, before moving to NYC.

I’m willing to believe she bought them while living in Canada, where (depending on province and city,) it’s probably easier to buy them than NYC.

She’s also shown to not be the most responsible gun owner (she thought she lost her .38 snub-nosed policeman’s special, but she really just left it at an ex-boyfriend’s place…but then she really DID lose it,) so it wouldn’t surprise me if she just didn’t bother with a permit for concealed carry.

I was under the impression that in NYC, a carry permit was very hard to get, but that a premises permit (at home and to the range only) was fairly straightforward; almost shall-issue. Perhaps a New Yorker can chime in.

If not, NYC will go the way of D.C. and Chicago and spend tax payer money in a meaningless effort to enforce that law. I haven’t seen the new Chicago law, but the new D.C. law is absurd in the number of hoops that you must go through, but if you are persistent, you will get a premises permit.

Long guns and handguns cannot be purchased by a non-resident. If you are out of state and see a firearm you just have to have provided its not under the Curio & Relic listing, One could purchase it but it would then have to be shipped to a licensed firearms dealer in your home state.

In the Original Post, Is this suppose to be true life situation, Reality?
Or is TV drama real life in NYC?

Gbro, it’s a CBS sitcom, so you can bet they’ll make up whatever the hell they want. Facts be damned.

Personally I think the fact that characters live in Manhattan and often have crappy jobs, but have huge apartments is already fantasy enough.

Not to mention the amount of time they spend in New York surrounded almost exclusively by tall, very pretty white people.

In Mother Russia, guns register owners !!!

I’m under the impression that you can’t possess the handgun in NYC (barring permits, of course) so buying it and bringing it in would be illegal, too.

Not quite. Federal law allows you to purchase a long gun (rifle or shotgun) from a licensed dealer at his place of business outside your state of residence, and bring it back home in person. From the ATF website:

It’s almost as impossible to get a pistol in Canada as in NYC. (legally)

Several states, including New York, allow the purchase of long guns (rifles and shotguns) in contiguous states. If you pass the NICS background check in the state you make the purchase you can just take it accross the border home with you. I live in Oregon and have bought several rifles in neighboring Washington, after a few minutes waiting for the NICS background check I put them in my car and drive home. I can also buy rifles in California, Nevada and Idaho.

From this PDF file here: http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/ContiguousStateRestrict.pdf