How is Windows 2000?

has anyone upgraded to it yet?
how is it…? pros/cons?

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi

It’s rock solid. With Win98, my computer locking up resulting in a reboot and the painful wait for Scandisk to load was at least a once a day occurrence. In the month or so I’ve had Windows 2000, this has yet to happen. The cons are hardware and software compatibility. Windows 2000 doesn’t have as vast support for certain types of hardware and software. All my hardware, fortunately, worked, but a lot of games and applications written for DOS and Win95/98 just won’t run. It’s a small price to pay for such improved stability, I think. All the programs I use the most for the internet and gaming work well. I figure if I ever want to run the older ones again, I can just partition my hard drive, install Win98 and boot into it whenever I feel a need to run them.

thanks, i want to get it soon.
what are your system specs?

btw , nice to meet another cheif !

Thanks, Chief Crunch. I’ve been waiting to hear about someone’s personal experience with Win2000. Now I know the time has finally come. I’m ordering Linux tomorrow.

You might want to keep in mind that while Win2000 was initially intended to merge the Win9x and WinNT product lines, it didn’t quite work out that way. Win2000 is still aimed at businesses as an NT upgrade. For personal use, you might want to wait that extra time & get Windows Millenium when it is released (probably 9+ months from now).

If you’re going to run a business on W2000, remember, too, that if you run W2000 Server, all your clients have to be W2000. You can have W2000 clients on an NT server, but not the other way around.

Such is the word according to Microsoft.

This sig not Y2K compliant. Happy 1900.

chief, its not really for personal users. Its for networks.

microsoft.com newsgroups have tons of messages on it.

“Men are like parking spaces, the available ones are handicapped.”

i know that… but i like nt’s security and at work thats what im going to be using
so i will probably upgrade eventually

One would assume two better than Windows '98.

“Though I hate 'em, I’ll defend to my death your right to use smilies.”
Forward deployed until 18AUG00

My system specs:

Celeron 300A overclocked to 450MHz
FIC KA-6100 MB with onboard Yamaha sound
Western Digital 8 gig hard drive
Seagate 2.1 gig hard drive
64 MB’s of pc100 RAM
Voodoo3 2000
3Com 56K Internet Gaming Modem
Generic floppy and CD-ROM drives

I know Win2K is really just the next NT, and when I tried it I was fully expecting to not like it and to have to reinstall Win98. It could be just my system and the overclocking, but often I’d experience lock ups or my computer not even booting up with Win98, this doesn’t happen anymore with Windows 2000. All the programs I use the most, IE 5.0, Outlook, Forte Agent, ICQ, Unreal, UT, Quake 2, Quake 3 run well with no problems. I’ve also tried a beta version of Windows Millennium, which is really just another version of Win98 with the GUI graphics taken from Win2K and I’ve had the same problems with it that I’ve had with Win98. Your mileage may vary.