How Long Did you Hold out against Covid?

doing a quick tally of the numbers in this thread, it seems like out of all dopers and close family referenced we have appx. 40% infected, 60% uninfected so the claim that

is a misleading stat, seeing as the poll is not allowing for people holding out completely.

This was meant as an ongoing thread to see who held out the longest before finally getting infected. That’s why I didn’t include the option “I’m Covid-free” in the poll but you’re all still free to say it in the thread.

Sorry if the OP wasn’t clear.

Honestly, at this point, I’m starting to think I might be one of the lucky few who are somehow completely immune to covid.

I work in a grocery store. I’ve been working 40+ hours a week interacting with the public continually since the beginning of this thing, coming into contact with thousands of people a day, from the panic-shopping days before masking and social distancing when toilet paper was worth its weight in gold, to now when most people aren’t wearing masks and are acting like there’s not still a pandemic on. I consider it highly likely that there’s been at least one infected person I’ve encountered every working day since this began. I’ve had well over a dozen confirmed exposures, between coworkers, a dial-a-lift driver, and my own mother, who I spent three hours with in her apartment, neither of us masked, two days before she tested positive. Aside from getting my vaccinations and always wearing a mask while in public, I haven’t gone out of my way to avoid being exposed - since the lockdowns here ended, I’ve eaten in restaurants many times and attended several large shows and concerts with mixed levels of masking and vaxxing. Almost everyone in my entire immediate family - my mother, my sister, her husband, my three nephews, my half-sisters, all three of my aunts, my grandmother, several of my cousins and their spouses and kids - have all had it at least once, some of them twice, and been symptomatic.

Not me. I’ve never displayed any consistent symptoms, I’ve tested negative on multiple antibody tests, and every single home test or doctor-administered test I’ve had has come back negative. When this started, I figured that my job meant I’d be one of the first people to catch it - now I’m starting to think I could walk into a covid ward and start tongue-kissing people just before they go on a ventilator and I wouldn’t catch it.

Not that I’m going to stop masking - I intend to keep masking for the rest of my life, because it helps with my allergies and it hides my eczema and missing teeth, and I don’t have to fake a smile when I’m at work.

So far so good. I was really careful for a long time, though lately I haven’t been as careful about masking. I go to restaurants occasionally but avoid large crowds otherwise. Fingers crossed.

I still haven’t gotten it, as far as I know. I’ve generally been very careful, I have all my vaccinations (including two boosters now), and I still usually wear a mask when I’m in an indoor public space.

A week and a half ago, I had to go on my first business trip in 2 1/2 years, to a big set of client meetings in Minneapolis. Everyone on our team was joking about being at a “super-spreader event,” as we were in hotel meeting rooms, with dozens of people from all over the country, and no one was wearing masks.

I’ve done three home tests since returning home on the 15th, all of which have been negative, and I’ve not had any symptoms. So, I appear to have dodged the bullet once again.

I am Covid free. Will not be returning to the thread to update you if I ever get it.

Welp, I’m in an indoor space (albeit a large one) with lots of people, and I dropped my mask earlier. I’m just gonna assume I’ve got it at this point. I’ve potenially killed myself for one second of inattention! Yay me.

My daughter works in a national chain pharmacy.
My wife works in a detention facility.

It was pretty much a given that we would contract it at some point. I’m just surprised it took as long as it did. Early this year but I don’t remember the date. We all tested positive together.

No infection so far.

COVID-free so far.

One of my fellow volunteers took two weeks off for an Alaskan cruise and both she and her husband caught it for the first time on the boat. She felt really punk but not life-threatening the first week, okay but really lethargic the second week, then felt fine but took the third week off out of an abundance of caution; most of us volunteers are pretty old.

Her husband is a couple years older than she is and was really bad for two weeks and lethargic for two more and counting.

Assuming you’re not being facetious, that’s not really a reasonable assumption to have. That you will one day get Covid probably is, but that you have already gotten it because you dropped a mask at work is unlikely. One of my daughters managed not to catch it, even though she was living with three other Covid-positive people in a medium-sized house who were not taking any serious precautions (I did wear a mask as best I could, for a few days, but my wife didn’t bother, nor dig my older daughter). I somehow managed not to give it to my close contacts even though I was working face-to-face with them the day I was diagnosed and the two days prior. Last year I have been in contact with probably 10K+ individuals on crowded, sweaty dance floors sans mask and managed to avoid it (and have flown several times). It’s not anywhere near a given that one oops and you’ve got it. The amusing thing is people have asked me if I know where I got mine. Pretty much literally anywhere. Too many probable vectors to even narrow down.

Until last Monday. No symptoms since Thursday but I’m still testing positive. My wife has somehow avoided it so I’m restricted to only a couple rooms. This has been the longest week of my life.

Haven’t gotten it yet, to my knowledge. I might have if the symptoms were less severe than a cold, but I doubt it. I’ve been on several airplane flights, have gone to the supermarket at least once a week, been to the mall, and have gone to sparsely attended shows.
It helps to live in the Bay Area where masking and vax levels were always very high.

Welp, just tested positive today for the first time. So far I feel OK. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Apparently you can get the drugs for it easily online even if you’re not high-risk? Is that a thing I shouldn’t do, for fear of depriving someone who really needs them? I’m overall healthy and confident in my odds against this bug, but I’m also the type to pop an aspirin if I have a slight headache.

I had it for the first time about a month ago. I was spending a lot of time in the hospital with my dad, so I probably caught it there, as did he. We had both had four jabs of vaccine each. I had mild but real symptoms - I basically felt crappy for three days.

Newly out from the FDA July 6th:

From what I’ve read recently, the medications are no longer in such short supply that you need not pursue them to preserve access for someone else.

Check with a test-to-treat site or your local pharmacist to see if one makes sense for you (within 5 days of testing + or symptoms beginning).

::Reading the linked article::

Hm, for a pharmacist to prescribe you Paxlovid, they’re going to want -

“Electronic or printed health records less than 12 months old, including the most recent reports of laboratory blood work for the state-licensed pharmacist to review for kidney or liver problems.”

If you haven’t happened to have had a blood test within the last twelve months, then what? First get a blood test, wait for results, and then you can ask for a Paxlovid scrip?

I imagine you could get a script from your doctor more quickly.

As to the OP, as far as I know, I’ve never had it. I’ve played sports with people who have tested positive the next day, had dinner several days in a row with someone who was positive, and have had someone in my family living at home test positive. I commute by train and subway to a busy office two days/week.

At this point, I should be donating my blood to science. Or, I’m just lucky. Or, have had asymptomatic infections.

My husband and I tested positive today. Daughter yesterday. Symptoms started Sunday night. Just a scratchy throat. Got out of jury duty.

I finally got it, three days ago. (Fully vaxxed, 50-something American).

Hit me pretty hard for two and a half days; now, just a little sore throat, and lingering listlessness/low energy.

Wife tested positive yesterday, but no symptoms.

If I had to get it, this was the perfect time — only three-day period all year with nothing (other than one zoom meeting) on my schedule, neither professionally nor fun-wise.

You may have noticed I’ve enjoyed posting a lot, in many threads, these past few days — and now you know why I had the time for this. Alas, that ends right about now.