How Long Did you Hold out against Covid?

My wife and I both caught Omicron in January (I caught it from her) when it was at its peak. Symptoms were mild and like dirtball I wouldn’t have guessed from the symptoms that I had Covid.

My two kids caught the OG covid early last year and somehow managed to avoid spreading it to my wife and I. We still dont know where she picked up Omicron as she rarely leaves the house.

So my kids held out for a year, my wife and I about 22 months.

So far, almost 90% of responders were infected in the past year.

I remember everybody being afraid of catching it in the Spring of 2020, no one going to work, deserted streets, all non-essential shops closed (and those that were open with extremely strict measures in place). Yet, that first wave is absolutely dwarfed by the ones that followed, especially this year. To be honest, I expected more people reporting infections in early 2020 when I seem to remember colleagues dropping like flies.

Of course, you cannot really compare these figures as many more people were tested starting late 2020 than at the beginning of the pandemic. Still, it shows that your expectations can be seriously coloured by subjective memories.

Somehow I haven’t gotten it. I’ve been like a 6 on a scale of 1-10 careful. There’s a couple of things I’ve done that make me really surprised that I didn’t get covid.

I went on a short trip this past weekend. Tested before I left and 5 days after I got home. All clear.

My Red Cross blood donation from May says my blood is “Reactive+” but according to their info it either means I have had covid or in vaccinated (I’m vaccinated with one booster).

As far as I know, I haven’t had it. I began taking precautions as soon as it hit the west coast (I was on a plane flying to Seattle and when my wife texted me about the first Seattle case being identified, I put on a medical mask and avoided people at the airport). Since being in cancer treatment, I hadn’t/haven’t traveled without access to a mask.

As far as I know, I’ve never had it. I’ve been pretty darn careful and worked remotely all but 2 weeks of the pandemic, and worn masks anywhere indoors with other people besides my own home with a couple of exceptions for family gatherings where everyone present had tested negative immediately beforehand. I am fine with people thinking I am neurotic if it keeps me healthy.

You missed “never infected” from the poll.

So far as I know, I haven’t had it. Neither have I had cause to test for it – until today.

As of this morning, I have the vaguest of cold symptoms: A slightly runny nose, a barely-sore throat. No congestion, no cough, no change to ability to taste or smell. I’ll be very surprised if it’s a positive test. The last time I was around other people was a week ago.

I’m fully vaxxed with 2 boosters, rarely meet up with others indoors and wear a mask at all times at gatherings, indoors or out. I work from home so have little cause to leave my place but about every 2 weeks.

I agree with @Eva_Luna. I can live with the ‘neurotic’ moniker if it means I can avoid this virus.

Well, I didn’t so much miss it as deliberately leave it out. Not trying to sound flippant, but my experience shows that it’s never too late to catch it.

Chiming in to add that, as far as I know, I haven’t caught it yet.

Sure.

The past fact that I haven’t caught it says nothing about whether I will in the future. But AFAICT, that proposition has nothing to do with your original question.

Just another data point from someone who seemed to have been excluded for some unspecified reason.

I haven’t had it either.

Like many others–I haven’t had it, either.

I haven’t had it yet (that I’m aware of). I’m very careful, but not completely - I go in to work more often than not (masked), flew to Hawaii (where my daughter got it after I left a week before she left), meet with a group of fully vaxxed friends weekly, etc.

I feel like I’m just one step ahead of the virus and it’s gaining quickly.

Got it a month ago. Surprising how long it took given how many people I come in contact with each week for the past year and some. (And I don’t mask unless required.) My littlest one is still COViD free among the nuclear family. My unvaxxed parents, too, thankfully. My brother’s family has still managed to dodge it, as well as my closest cousin’s family. Maybe half my friends and family have yet to get it.

So far as I know I haven’t had it. But just in case my cough this weekend isn’t asthma related, I’ll test before driving to the office Monday.

AFAIK, I haven’t gotten it (knock on wood), and the evidence for this is that I’m still alive (I have a compromised immune system). I’m vaxxed and boostered so it’s possible I got it but my symptoms were so mild that I didn’t even notice it.

Picked it up in Croatia just over two weeks ago for the first time, so likely BA.4 or BA.5.

Got it last month, June 2022.
I wouldn’t have known without a routine covid test. I had all 4 vaccinations.

No symptoms except my doctor’s concern about covid blood clotting. I was on blood thinners 2 weeks.

I hope my new antibodies will get me through winter.

I didn’t answer the poll, because I was infected asymptomatically sometime before mid-June 2020, as verified by an antibody screening test applied to my blood donation. So one of the first two answers would apply.

However, after that, I tested positive on July 4th of this year, and - like many in this wave - had the equivalent of a bad cold.

Still Covid-free so far, despite travelling by train and by plane (twice) and even sharing an interpreter’s booth with one positive colleague, as she found out the day after. Wife is still Covid-free too. Vaxxed and boostered. Did not answer the poll, as this option seems not to be foreseen.