How long is a "long term marriage" to you?

Simple question. I ask because someone referred to a 10 year marriage as long term in the alimony thread and to me 10 years is not long term. I’m thinking 20+.

You?

I voted for 10+. It seems like that’s long enough to show you’re plenty serious about it. Most “Hollywood” marriages don’t get past 5 years, so that’s not good enough.

I’ve been married for 18 years, and while I don’t foresee it ending anytime soon, a 20+ year marriage is a long, long time. More than “long term,” it’s like “damn, you guys should be proud.”

20 plus, to me is long term 30+ is basically lifetime but maybe i’m different. I come from a background of lifetime marriages

I’d accept as low as 15 but lower than that doesn’t make the ‘long term’ marker for me.

We are married for 60 years, does that count?

Our 21st year starts on June 19th. It’s going to be a lifelong love affair. Boy, doesn’t seem that long. I remember the moment I met her. :slight_smile:
I would say 20 years is the beginning of a long marriage.

The question makes no sense to me. I’m not complaining that you asked it - this is just my answer.

‘Long term’, to me, usually applies to something that has a foreseen end (such as the repayment of a loan), or is otherwise understood to be non-permanent (such as a contract to supply a service).

Happy anniversary!

It’s a difficult thing to quantify for me. On the one hand, ten years is nothing–DoctorJ and I have been together sixteen (married 8.5) and we’re just getting started. On the other hand, that’s nearly half our lives and that seems like a long time.

I say 10 years is enough to qualify. Think about it - what else do you have in your life that sticks around 10 years? Your car? Your house? It’s a big deal.

I think 10 years is too short a time to qualify for ‘long term’. That said, eternity rings seem to be given at the first anniversary these days, so maybe anything longer than a year?

I voted 30 years but anything longer than 25 years counts as ‘long term’ in my view.

I vote for 20+, but my view is admittedly skewed since my first marriage ended just after the 10-year mark.

On the other hand, I found out during my divorce that California law treats marriages that have lasted 10 years or longer differently than shorter marriages, so I suppose I broke the barrier in that sense. Yippee. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think 10 years is right on the edge of what I’d call “long term,” but 20 is more like it.

To me it’d be 25 or the silver wedding anniversary.

Today is our 21st wedding anniversary. Doesn’t seem that long.

I vote 30. Long enough to get the kids launched, have a life as a couple again, and then decide whether to stay together or not.

QtM, married 30 years this past Monday.

Many congratulations!

I voted 20+. Ten years was like a drop in a bucket. Blink your eye and it’s gone. We just had our 18th and even that doesn’t seem “long term”. I think 25 yrs is a good benchmark.

I voted 30+, but I’m not sure even that is long enough. I know at least five couples who have celebrated their 50th anniversary, so I guess I would call those “long-term marriages”. One is my parents.

My sister has been married almost 25 years, that’s pretty long.

I myself am only coming up to our fifth anniversary in August.

It depends on the individuals involved. My DH and I have been married 64 1/2 years, and it seems like a fairly short time to us.

People today don’t seem to want to work at a marriage. Get a little miffed at your partner, so change partners. IMHO they are failing to remember the promise - “as long as ye both shall live.”

Oh, well, I am impossibly oldfashioned.

I say you don’t get to call any marriage that ends in divorce “long term.”