How long would it take you to get mugged in your hometown?

I’m from Ukiah – a medium sized town in Northern California. There are a couple of unsavory areas, so I’d guess that, if I were bent on it, I could get mugged there in, oh, 4 or 5 days. My husband, on the other hand, is from Pittsville (brief pause for jokes), Wisconsin, pop. 800ish. You could wait forever to be mugged in Pittsville – practically everybody knows everybody else. You probably don’t want to leave your recently bagged deer in your truck outside a tavern, though. Every hunting season in Pittsville a couple of deer are stolen out of pickup trucks or jeeps.

Jess

I figure I could get mugged in 8 or 9 months, but I’d probably first have to advertise the position in the newspaper and then screen the candidates. Even after all that, I suspect we’d have to import (NYC) perhaps, a professional who knew the ropes.

Then again, mugging me wouldn’t really be worth the effort.

Hmm. In my current locale of residence… ponders It’d take awhile, unless I got ‘lucky’. I’d probably be more likely to be the victim of a pick-pocket rather than a mugging.

In previous places though… I could be buck nekked, carrying wads of cash, and have a big o’ neon sign above me proclaimng ‘Mug me! I’m stupid!’, and all I’d get is a trip to the local looney bin, my picture in the newspaper, and a footnote in the ‘News of the Weird’.

Or in SanFran, either I’d actually manage to get mugged, or I’d suddenly find a lot of people joining me thinking it’s some kind of new cult/pride parade/Chinese celebration/what-have-you. :smiley:

<< If you want me to be a good little bunny just dangle some carats in front of my nose. – Lauren Bacall >>

In my hometown you would have to go to a certain area on the south side of town where all the crack people congregate. In Dayton, I could probably get it done in an hour or less.

When My Mom lived in Dayton, she got mugged while trying to get in her car after work. Unfortunately for the mugger, after raising seven kids she didn’t scare that easily. He didn’t find that out though until after he grabbed her from behind and she ended up breaking his nose and several bones in his both his feet before reaching between her legs and sticking her long fingernails as far as they would go into his scrotum. Then she just sort of sat down with the full weight of her body hanging on his snagged testes.

(I’ll pause for a moment to allow all you guys to react accordingly.)

Then the would be mugger grunted “Ok lady I’ll let you go” and Mom replied that not only was he really not very good at this he was also too stupid to realize that she would be the one letting him go. She watched him limp off and then went home cursing him for getting his blood on her. From then on she walked to and from her car carrying a 357 magnum in one hand and her purse in the other. She quit that job shortly after.

Mugged? Heck, my wife used to stumble home several blocks after a night of drinking in downtown Montreal at 3 or 4 am. Nothing ever happened.

Here in Vancouver you won’t get mugged, even if you wander into the hellhole that is the Downtown Eastside. Anyone holding a celphone and a laptop is obviously not a local, and will bring too much heat down on the place.

Now, having your car broken into, that’ll take 2 minutes. Even if you’re in a locked parking garage. Your ground-floor apartment or house will probably be nailed within 2 weeks of you moving in, and every vacation you take thereafter.

Actually, now that I think about it, I’ve been attacked late at night in Vancouver. But that was by a 13-year-old strung out on crystal meth. He and his friends ended up getting bit by a police dog.