How loud is the sound of a standing man urinating into a toilet? Of washing dishes?

See subject. Just the water in water/sink. In decibels. I want to compare it with the decibel level of a normal conversation, which I’m pretty sure I can easily look up.

Because it drives me crazy when one drowns out the other.

Peeing? Depends whether I’m directing a gentle tangent impact with the side of the bowl, or aiming straight down and tensing up so as to bore a hole in the water. My guess is that typical into-the-water peeing for a standing man is somewhere around 65 dB (normal conversation is 60-65 dB). Note that decibel-meter apps are available for your smartphone. For absolute readings they aren’t terribly useful unless you calibrate your particular phone against a known standard, but for comparative readings (which is what you’re most interested in), this would do.

You can put the seat down and pee on that if you’re trying to have a conversation.

If you’re trying to have a conversation with someone while peeing on their toilet seat, the conversation isn’t going to be any easier.

I read it as the man peeing in the sink…:slight_smile:

I suspect the conversation will get significantly louder.

When I pee while I’m on the phone, I switch it off speaker-phone. That usually solves the problem.

The sound of a man urinating depends on if he is wetting his pants, urinating into a toilet/urinal, or if he is just miming it with a hose. Also, when does a man wash dishes?

Judging by the last line of the OP, at the same time he’s going to the bathroom.

Just FYI, if you own a smart phone search for a free decibel meter. They use the mic on the phone to measure. It’s not going to be 100% accurate but it will give you an idea.

Depends on the size if his prostate.

Personally, I wouldn’t hold my phone next to the toilet while peeing. :smiley:

I had one already installed and really had to go to the bathroom when I opened this thread. So…

With the phone sitting on my counter, about 1 meter away from the toilet water, my phone read about 80 dB. :o

I find it odd how close Machine Elf was. I mean, I know it’s not a linear scale and off by an order of magnitude, but I couldn’t have told you if liquid falling a few feet and landing in more liquid was 15 or 100db, it’s just not something in my brain. You want to know how many apples* are in a box or what’s probably wrong with your fridge, I can do that, but dB, not a clue.

I mean it was close like you guessing that there’s a 1500 apples in a box when it’s actually 100, so maybe it’s not that close. But still, I wouldn’t have had the foggiest idea.

checks this off to-do list

I have some experience measuring sound, so I have a rough idea of the decibel levels of various sounds.

That seems suspiciously high. The compressor out in my garage is 81 dB at 3 meters. Have you checked your phone-app meter against an actual calibrated SPL meter?

I have a real SPL meter, but someone’s borrowing it right now. I’ll take a measurement with it this weekend and let you know what I get.

I haven’t. I don’t think I have any good way to calibrate it, either. I re-estimated the distance from the water to the phone – it’s probably more like 75 cm.

The name of the app is “Decibel 10th”; it’s running on an iPhone 6. It registers 45-50 dB in my bedroom with the HVAC off and about 70-75 when I’m talking in my normal voice from about a meter away. (I speak very softly.) Snapping my fingers from about 20 cm away hits about 80 dB.

Maybe a bit high, but not absurdly so. 81db at 3 meters come out to about 87 at a quarter the distance (70ish cm). So 80db in an echo-y bathroom seems almost plausible for splashy splashy. I’m just using real quick rule of thumb calculations tho. If someone wants to do real math, go ahead.

Most decibel example charts (here’s a few )claim “normal conversation” to be about 60-65 dB, so a reading of 70-75 dB for a soft-speaking person seems a good bit higher than we ought to expect.