How many copies of Star Wars do you own?

Okay, I did see the remastered version 10 or 15 years ago, but even then it was only once.

Also, I’m guessing there haven’t been any other movies since then that you’ve paid to see that many times. I only saw it three or four times, and I was considered quite the freak in my circle of friends.

It helped that it eventually went to the dollar theaters. I certainly didn’t pay full ticket price all 19 times. These days I’m not sure I’d even have the opportunity to do that, seeing as how quickly movies come and go, at least over here. I’ve seen some others that many times such as Casablanca, but only on TV or video.

None. I did see the first Star Wars in a theater when it came out. Well, not all of it. It was too loud, so I left.

And unlike some of my friends, I still have good hearing, so maybe there’s a reason.

What?

Let’s see…

1. Recently found a very old VHS box set
  2. The 1995 “THX remastered” box set
  3. Bootleg VHS copies of the Special Edition
  4. DVD boxsets of all 6
  1. pre-THX OOT pan-n-scan VHS Boxset
  2. THX OOT VHS’s in widescreen
  3. OT Special Edition VHS Boxset in widescreen
  4. OT Special Edition VHS Boxset in pan-n-scan
  5. TPM widescreen VHS
  6. OT Special Edition on VCD
  7. TPM VCD
  8. TPM PAL DVD
  9. TPM NTSC DVD with uncut “Beginning” documentary
  10. AOTC DVD
  11. Bootlegs of the OOT on DVD
  12. OT DVD Boxset
  13. ROTS DVD
  14. OT DVDs with OOT as special features
  15. Saga Blu-ray Boxset
  16. OT I recorded on Beta off TV in 1990

All told, it appears I have 10 copies of ANH alone.

I haven’t watched it yet, but I’ve also got the fan-edit “Despecialized Edition 2.0” of Episode IV. The Despecialized Editions attempt to recreate the original versions of the OT as closely as possible, by piecing together scenes from different sources–including HD sources like the Bluray SEs. It looks pretty good.

And now I’m hearing that Star Wars is going to come out in cinemas yet again, this time in 3D?

Including the bootleg VHS tape I made back in 1983? Where Han shoots first?

They re-released The Phantom Menace in 3D last year; the plan was to re-release all six in 3D with episodes II and III seeing release later this year and episodes IV-VI following after that.

Yesterday it was announced that plans for the 3D conversions (which were already well and truly underway) have been postponed in favour of focusing on Episode VII.

Darths and Droids was my first exposure, really, unless you count my Return of the Jedi comforter I had as a kid.

Let’s see…

1. VHS tapes that a friend recorded for me off of HBO in the mid-80s.
  2. Official VHS tapes, from late 1980s
  3. Remastered (pre-Special Edition) VHS from mid 1990s
  4. Special Edition VHS
  5. Special Edition DVD
  6. “Original” (eg., “Han Shot First”) DVD, though only of Episode IV
  7. Blu-Ray

Good grief, that’s a lot of copies.

Just thought I’d jump back in here and mention that I just found a old VHS copy of The Ewok Adventure…does that count too? (as well as a VHS copy of From Star Wars to Jedi that I bought because it had the original Jabba scene in Star Wars with the original stand in actor)

The LD boxset for the Special Edition release of the original trilogy. Also Episode IV on the original CBS/Fox LD release.
The original trilogy on CED (I think I’m the first person in this thread to mention this format).
One or two of the original trilogy on Beta (which are all in storage, so I don’t recall which ones).

Thing is, I’m not really a fan of the Star Wars movies; I’ve just managed to accumulate these over the years, usually from buying other movies in a large lot.