How many copies of Star Wars do you own?

I have the original unaltered widescreen trilogy on VHS. And no VHS player.

If they ever release a Bluray of the old trilogy with the worst of the dumbarsery removed I’ll happily upgrade.

Star What?

I was 11, I have an excuse. I was also very excited to see KISS and the Phantom of the Park on TV.

Me too. For the longest time, I thought I was the only one who saw and remembered it.

I had the VHS and they pretty much wore out. I now have the release from a few years ago with the original movies without the “improvements.” That will most likely be the last version I get.

Three.

A bootleg copy I bought in China, which included the theatrical special editions(with no additional DVD upgrades).

The DVD versions.

The DVD theatrical release versions.

Lessee. I’ll include my parents’ copies in this, for my own entertainment, if nothing else.

Way back in the dark ages, we bought TESB on Beta. Yes, Beta. I’m not sure whether we ever bought the other two, even after Dad caved and bought a VHS after Beta got trounced.

Later, I bought the “faces” boxed set of VHS tapes - the ones with Yoda, Vader, and a stormtrooper as the box fronts.

I then upgraded to a DVD player, but couldn’t find the non-fucked around with versions. So I bought bootleg DVD versions off eBay, copied from the laser disks.

Finally, SpouseO bought me the boxed set of, oh, about 5 years ago now, that includes the Special Editions with the original theatrical releases on the B-side. I’ve never watched the SpEds at home, and probably won’t.

So, call it 3 1/3 sets for me.

The original VHS release for the OT

The Laser Disc 9 disc box set for the OT

DVD releases of all 6 movies

DVD Fan edit of Episode I: The Phantom Edit (with Jar Jar edited out)

DVD Fan release of Star Wars Lightsaber Montages from all six movies

2 VHS copies of the Holiday special (one with commercial, one without)

When I was a kid, we had the silent, several-minute-long Super 8 home movie version. I found a description of it here:

None. I saw the third one in the theater, and I think saw the first one on TV, and some/all of the second one the same way.

Probably should grab a torrent of the second one sometime, to get what those TonTons are all about and stuff.

Wasn’t threadshitting BTW just baffled at how many editions there are of these iconic movies, compared with equally classic/iconic or cult/nerd movies – guess it’s money. I like Mark Hamill, BTW – he’s been in some great flicks. Always hear people talking shit about him, but I got no beef.

So, did Lucas just have a lot of spare time and nothing else to do than replace the IIRC pretty damned cool practical effects in the movies with digital recreations? Kind of Borgesian. Weird.

I have the DVDs of Eps 4-6 that released both the original theatrical version with the SE version, each as a double-disc set.

I also have the Blu-Ray of Eps. 1-6 (despite not having a Blu-Ray player)

Well, in my case, I didn’t have to pay for any of them

It makes perfect sense really (despite whatever historical or aesthetic objections one might have)

(a) The “Special Edition” was a way to test drive all the digital effects that would be of primary importance in the prequels
(b) By releasing these “new” versions theatrically, it would allow a whole new generation of filmgoers to see them in a cinema, a perfect branding opportunity in anticipation of the prequels, too

Those are good conjectures. Your (b) makes sense, however, while (a) is less convincing. I’m not a programmer, but I’ve heard people test software pretty rigorously all the time.

I’m still going with your (b) (= money) and my “nothing better to do.” If those were represented as Venn diagrams, the intersection of the sets kind of makes some sense.

At one time I owned the Faces set on VHS. Actually, come to think of it, those may still be in my possession somewhere.
I own the Faces set on LD.
I own the DVD set that doesn’t have the pre-special editions included.
I own the DVD set that does have the pre-special editions included.

I own the prequels on DVD, because … I don’t know, some day I may want to watch the whole thing through from beginning to end.

I have the original trilogy in the THX widescreen VHS edition, #8729 (it is this package). I also have the boxed set of the OT on DVD. I have the prequels on DVD as well, but they were purchased individually.

I have the original (unaltered) trilogy on VHS. Also have all 6 on DVD.

Speaking of the Star Wars holiday special ------- I still have “A Star Wars Christmas” on LP ----- and if you check the credits, a little known singer (at the time) named Jon Bongiovi is listed as one of the back up singers.

None. I’m waiting for the novelization.

I find his voice-acting (especially for the Joker) to be more interesting and probably ultimately more influential than his Luke Skywalker.

Star Wars, Empire, & Jedi
at least two self taped VHS copies
VHS THX remasters letterbox set
VHS Special Editions letterbox set
DVD 1st release 4 disc widescreen set
DVD individual releases w/theatrical 2nd disc

Phantom Menace
VHS letterbox
DVD widescreen

Attack of the Clones & Revenge of the Sith
DVD widescreen

Entire Series
Bluray complete saga 9 disc set

I also have DVD copies of both Clone Wars volumes (the cartoon, not the CGI series) and taped off the TV VHS copies of the Ewok Adventure (that’s the name, not “Caravan of Courage”, DAMNIT) and Ewoks:Battle for Endor.

Two VHS, three DVD, and one Bluray of Terminator 2. Actually I have more than one copy of every Terminator movie.

That came out before the movie even came out theatrically, let alone for home video. :stuck_out_tongue:

Funny, but when the movie came out in 1977, I was so impressed that I watched it 19 times. I counted. But I’ve never felt the urge to see it again since then or own a copy. And I think I’ve seen subsequent installments only once. I must have worked it out of my system.