How Many Dead Presidents Have You Visited?

地球 = Earth. That’s cool. Hello, neighbor.

Forest Lawn in Buffalo. I’m about 20 miles away. Never underestimate this board. :slight_smile:

None of them were dead before I visited…

Starting with Hoover, most of the Presidents have been or will be buried at their libraries. (Except JFK, at Arlington, and LBJ, buried in the family plot at his ranch.) Calvin Coolidge is, and probably will remain for a long time, the last President buried in an ordinary local public cemetery.

You know, for all of you who visit JFK at Arlington, it’s real easy to check off Taft, who’s also at Arlington. I feel bad for Taft–his grave is like the Tomb of the Unknown President.

My parents are buried in the same cemetery as Harry Caray. Harry still attracts a few pilgrims laying memorabilia at his tomb. (Cubs memorabilia only. He announced 11 years for the White Sox, but White Sox fans hate him.)

George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Vladimir Lenin
Josef Stalin
António Agostinho Neto
Sir Winston Churchhill

There are doubtless a few Kings and Queens buried in London and Paris I might have seen by accident.

Jefferson
Grant
Kennedy

Quite a few English Kings & Queens
Philip II of Macedon

I’ve seen the Kennedy and Taft graves at Arlington, as well as Lyndon Johnson’s grave at his ranch.

I think that’s it for Presidents.

When I was a little kid, my Dad showed me the old cemetery on Wall Street where Alexander Hamilton was buried.

I forgot- when I was 5, my family spent the summer in Tennessee, and we saw ANdrew Jackson’s tomb at the Hermitage.

And my parents did take me to Hyde Park, so I saw FDR’s grave. So, I guess I’ve seen 5 Presidental graves.

But NOT Grant’s Tomb, strangely enough, even though I grew up in New York City and went to Columbia University. I was within a few blocks of Grant’s Tomb all during my college years, but never went there.

Let’s see:

Presidents:

Harry Truman, Independence, MS
David G. Burnet, Galveston, TX (Republic of Texas)
Anson Jones, Houston, TX (Republic of Texas)
I’ve driven by LBJ’s ranch, but never stopped in.

Kings and other heads of state

Napoleon Bonaparte, Les Invalides, Paris
Multiple Kings of England, Westminster Abbey, London
David II, James II of Scotland, Holyrood Abbey, Edinburgh
Multiple Czech kings - Cathedral of St. Vitus, Prague
Multiple Popes, St. Peter’s Basilica, St. John Lateran, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, Rome
Umberto I, Vittorio Emmanuele II of Italy, Pantheon, Rome.
Multiple Dutch princes- Nieuwe Kirk, Delft.

Just today visited the grave of a Civil War hero of mine, Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas, in a Troy, N.Y. cemetery.

I forgot about Alexander Hamilton and John Diefenbaker.

Ronald Regan
Richard Nixon

William McKinley
Woodrow Wilson
Warren Harding
John F. Kennedy

Presidents:

George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Franklin Pierce
Ulysses S. Grant
Chester A. Arthur (Hi Chuck!)
Theodore Roosevelt
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Juan Perón

Also of note in US history:
Alexander Hamilton
Robert Fulton (also at Trinity)
Robert E. Lee
Lee’s horse, Traveller (Go Generals!

I was at Grant’s tomb in NYC in the 70’s and all I can remember about it is the utterly, utterly ugly yellow plastic chairs they had in the veranda at that time. They have obviously removed them since or replaced them with more tasteful outdoor furniture but at the time UG-LEEE!

Forget who specifically is buried there, but there’s a cemetery along the Freedom Trail.

Sam Adams?: Boston - Freedom Trail: Granary Burial Ground - Samuel Ada… | Flickr

Duh! Probably other recognizable names too!!

Places where I’ve seen European royalty buried:

English, in Westminster Abbey
French, in St. Denis Cathedral (unfortunately most of the graves were ransacked during the Revolution, and the kings were re-buried lumped together in an “ossuary”)
Spanish, in the Escorial
Italian, in the Pantheon (well, only two kings)
Portuguese, in Batalha Monastery
Luxembourg, in the basement of Notre Dame (in Luxembourg, not in Paris)
Monegasque, in Monaco Cathedral
Danish, in Roskilde (a really cool place, with each tomb in a different architectural style)
Norwegian, in Akershus Fortress (again, only two kings)

Unfortuantely I didn’t get out Delft to see the Dutch, or to Laeken for the Belgians.

I’ve been to “the same two presidents pretty much everybody else has” - Kennedy and Taft, both at Arlington. Besides Kennedy’s, the only graves I make it a point to visit when I’m at Arlington are those from the Challenger and Columbia (they’re buried together, next to memorials for the two shuttles, near the Tomb of the Unknowns.)

As for other famous people, other than the ones at Westminster Abbey, I can’t think of any.