How many First Cousins have you had?

Thanks. That sticker is in the mail! :D:D

Twenty-seven, I think, I may have missed a couple.

What can I say? Catholic family.

Two maternally (Mom had one brother)
Paternally? Lessee, two, four, nine - so, 15.
One of my uncles really really wanted a son. Nine girls later, he gave up.
In fact, of the 17 total cousins, only two are male.

Just for the record: I tried three times to reply to the posts above and my replies got lost or never went through (board maintenance for one thing). An additional comment I had made in one response was that another thread on the general subject of cousins, to include all the once-removed, step- and half- and other variations of cousinship might be fun to play with. I’ll leave that thread to anybody who wants to start it.

I had a high school friend whose family was about as complex as any I have heard of and he had relationships (of the kinship sort) that I doubt anybody could top. Extended family extraordinaire!

I said 11, altho the paternity of one cousin is in question. My uncle’s 5th wife was, well, she was something…

Yep. That’s another wrinkle! And once we get into the incest side of things, it can really get messy. That friend I mentioned above never was sure how many ways he was kin to some of his “cousins.”

My wife and I were just discussing how family trees can be mysterious things to do any real research on, when generations loop back on one another. Those things are rarely reported accurately in the “family Bible” where I grew up.

And there’s always that story/joke about being one’s own grandfather!

Per the OP’s instructions and excluding step-cousins, I’ve got four - two a few years older than me (father’s sister’s sons) and two the same age range as my son (mother’s brother’s sons) - the later two I think of and relate to as an aunt, but technically they are my cousins.

Including halves and steps? I honestly have no idea. My two young cousins have an older half-sister, and I know her, so there’s one. My stepmother has two living brothers, but I haven’t kept track of their offspring. There are probably another three or four, I think?

No matter how you count it, I have fewer cousins than my husband has siblings! (12 kids to one mom, no multiples.)

Ten, but two were adoptees, so not blood related.

20 plus - my dad came from a family of seven, my mom from a family of eight.

23 cousins for me - 8 kids on my mom’s side, and 5 on my dad’s. I’m the child of the oldest (my mom), so I’m also in that weird situation where I have cousins that are 42, and cousins that are 10 years old. So practically, I’m more like an aunt to 8 of them.

I remember us counting 57 full firsts not too many years ago. It was uncertain though because my mom, with 11 siblings, and my dad, with 15, didn’t really know if some of them had had more kids after they lost track of one another.

I’m an only child–the only only child among my cousins. :slight_smile: My son is also an only child, and of course, has no first cousins.
(As a gift to you all, I won’t link my blog entry about this.)

I count up to 35–26 on my mother’s side and at least 9 on my father’s (I’m not as close to his side of the family and things are a little more complicated).

11 but three have passed away.

Three, but I marked two. One on my mother’s side and two on my father’s. I never knew I had cousins on my father’s side until just a few years ago, and one of them is dead. It’s a feeble excuse for a genealogist, but it’s all I’ve got.

I’ve got 23 that I know about, since we know almost nothing about my father’s family except that he had at least one sibling. My mother came from a group of 10 kids - 7 girls, 3 boys - and because they all loved coming from a big family, none has an only child. Noe took things as far as our grandparents, though.

Six total: four maternal and two paternal.

My father’s an only child but my mom had two brothers. One had four kids, one of whom was hit by a car and killed when he was 20. The other had one kid. So, had five, have four.

My mother was one of 11 children in her family. All but one of her siblings had children; I have 30 first cousins on her side of my family.

My father only has one sibling (a brother), but he had eight children. So, 8 first cousins on that side.

Of the 38, 37 are still alive (I had one cousin who died in a motorcycle accident just after graduating from high school).

I never really processed that this large number of cousins was in any way outside of the norm until I got married. My wife has only 6 first cousins (her mom was an only child, which cut down on the possibilities). My wife’s sister has 3 children, and they have zero first cousins – my wife and I are childless, and their one aunt on their father’s side is 42, single, and childless.

only 2 on my mom’s side, but my dad was the youngest of 9 kids. I can’t keep track of his…

26: 18 Paternal and 8 maternal. Knew 24 of them personally.