How many living persons do you truly, deeply love?

With a 10% chance of survival, I would only do it for my two sons.

Well, my mom’s 82 going on 83, so probably none.

She’s a Jehovah’s Witness, so she won’t mind if I don’t give her that transplant.

When I was a hardcore Doctor Who fan, I might’ve considered it for Tom Baker, but ultimately, I think I would’ve refused. Still, I would’ve thought about it.

With the odds that low, I’d search for a better doctor. I doubt that any ethical doctor would even allow such a transplant.

But in a more realistic world, I’d have to say my parents, siblings, siblings-in-law, their kids, and the grandkid. That makes 12.

Only 10% survival odds? I’m not sure anyone passes that bar.
My SO comes close, but it’s not a given.

Thinking about this, I’m getting some interesting internal reactions.
Step in front of a bullet - maybe a dozen people.
Enter a burning building - raise that to 25ish
walk away from everything I own - 50+ (but there has to be a reason, not just “Because I asked you to”)

It seems to be a mix of odds and spontaneity.

My parents. Some of my friends.

My brother and sister.

My parents would never let me and nope, no one else even comes close.

My husband. No one else.

I don’t think this is a fair test for how much you love someone. I would do it for my parents and my brothers, but if I had kids to take care of I wouldn’t. I’d have to exempt parents and anyone who has somebody absolutely depending on them from this test.

zero. I think you need to rephrase the question. the 10% survival odds are not even realistic.

A better measure is, how many people do you love enough to donate a kidney to.

With 10% survival odds, i’m guessing that most people, if they are being truthful and really think about it, would only do it for their children. A few exceptions aside.

I don’t know about that. The odds are better than “who would you give your life for” and I think there are lots of people who would give their lives for somebody other than their children. I would for my immediate family - even easier question if there were a chance I’d survive.

But again, I don’t think this is a good test for “truly, deeply, love.” You could just not care about your life so much. You could just be very, i dunno, religious and believe in self-sacrifice. Like I said before, if you have kids to take care of I don’t think most people would sacrifice their lives.

Nobody under this definition. I don’t even know that I’d donate if the likelihood for survival was 50/50.

Zero by that definition.

There are two people that I would say I truly love, but would not give my life for them because I know they would both be at serious suicide risk if I died. One is my Dad, the other my SO.

10% – only my wife and kids.

50% – my sisters.

Three. My grandmother and my parents. I really love my siblings and nephews, but they have others to take care of them(spouses).

Even without the condition I would say no one. With around 80% odds, I’d give an organ to anyone in my family though.

My two kids, my granddaughter, my sister, mom and dad. &My Aunt Vonnie.

One. And that’s all I’m gonna say.

Wife and the 3 bambinas.

Two. My children.