How many meanings has the phrase "time flies like an arrow"

A really bad haiku.

This reminds me of a silly discussion my class had in “theory of computation” after talking about context-sensitive language generation. The word “like” has a lot of different possible substitutions (as this thread also shows) and the professor challenged the class to come up with various schematics for substitution. After we managed quite a few, and writing them down in the fancy “like -> resemble” sort of notation, he goes on to the punch line of the discussion: after saying something like “So, like, there’s, like, this one use that we, like, haven’t said anything about yet.” and mentioning the above referenced culture group, he wrote on the board “like -> ^ (or whatever the symbol denoting the empty word was)”.

I’m sure no one else but the class will ever find it funny, but after going through most of a class where we had tons of these kind of rules completely seriously, it was quite amusing to get such a light-hearted word generation rule, especially in the mocking way it was delivered.

That would be ‘bares’.