How many Non-japanese animated series have *KILLED* characters during their run?

Weren’t there a few more minor characters killed off over the course of the series, though? I seem to somehow remember that there were three Joes who died, but I can’t remember their names.

What about that one guy who sounds like Butt-Head on King of the Hill? I think he was Lou-Ann’s (sp?) boyfriend.

Buckley!

There was another Superman episode where the police chief, I think, was killed by those dudes from that planet. Yeah.

Terry McGuinness’ father dies in the pilot episode of Batman Beyond. It doesn’t happen onscreen, but it’s obvious that he’s dead (a newscast talks about him being survived by his ex-wife and sons). There’s also a death scene in Return of the Joker.

Morph died in X-Men: the Animated Series, or so we were led to believe in the pilot. He actually returned in season 2. I heard that he was originally supposed to stay dead, but that someone else took over the show and brought him back. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

I won’t even mention Phoenix’s death. Jean Grey seems to die every few years or so. I think it’s in her contract. :wink:

I remember that episode! It surprised me, too. I’ve never seen anything in a cartoon like that.

Dan something, from the Superman series, yeah. They had a grave and everything, though his on-screen death was of the “vaporized by lasers” kind.

Disney movies probably shouldn’t count; they’re always incredibly violent (most notably, Quasimodo’s mother’s on-screen death). You could pick any of them.

I can’t think of any cartoons yet that haven’t already been mentioned. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had Baxter as a human in a few episode though before he became a fly

No. Buckley, Luann’s boyfriend was not the one who sounded like Butthead. All he ever said was “hey”. He was killed in the Mega-Lo Mart explosion.

The kid who sounds like Butthead is Stuart Dooley. He’s Bobbie’s age, and he’s still around.

Weren’t there several deaths in the original Jonny Quest? I remember an evil scientist getting crushed by debris, I think it’s even in the opening.

How about Boris & Natasha at the very end of the last Bullwinkle? Fearless Leader decides they’ve screwed up for the last time, and we hear off-screen gunshots. It’s very obvious what happened.

Dan “Terrible” Turpin. Yeah, which was a shocker because the character was alive at the time (still is, for all I know) in the comics.

That and teh death was maliciously pointless. Darkseid had lost, he knew it and was retreating. So he reached out, past Superman, and blasted the insolent cop. Just to demonstrate that he could.

That series also had implied lesbianism. Good stuff.

See also Beast Machines and Dino-Bot, although he was later cloned. Also Power Puff Girls and Bunny.

Actually Dan “Terrible” Turpin was killed in remeberance to one of the comic greats, Jack “King” Kirby, father of many of Marvel’s greatest as well as worked on Supes in the seventies (he even created Dan Turpin in the comic book series).

If you like at Turpin, he is a animated version of Kirby anyway.
Also whats interesting is that you see many of his creations mourning him at the funeral. Your POV scans the assembled mourners. You will see many superheroes in funeral clothing; The Fantastic Four (Thing is shadowed), Nick Fury, Peter Parker, and others, all characters that Jack Kirby had worked on thru his long career. Now see the last frames…words fade in on screen that say “Dedicated to the memory of Jack Kirby”
A helluva guy and truly the legend…even today he is missed (by yours truly and many many more)

I have this weird memory of Dr. Doom being vaporized by his own death ray in one of the later Spider-Man series. Did this actually happen, or was I consuming too much sugar as a ten-year-old?

Yeah, but the clone died as well.

Actually, in retrospect, that last two-part episode of Beast Wars had a lot of fatalities – Tigerhawk got vaporized, Rampage and Depth Charge fought to their mutual deaths, the Transmetal 2 Dinobot clone sacrificed himself to save the day, and Megatron vaporized Inferno and Quickstrike just because they were in the way.

On “The Itchy and Scratchy Show,” they killed off the short-lived “Poochy.” Homer did his voice, but Poochy had been created by committee and was never popular.

Krusty: “Poochy’s DEAD!!!”

Kids in audience: “YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!”

I was aware Kirby created him, but in the books, Dan survived his face off with the forces of Apokolips, hence my dropped jaw. Didn’t catch the tribute at the funeral scene.

Have to look for that if I ever catch that episode again.

In the Batman animated series a young Robin’s parents are killed for not paying protection money. The guy (Tony Zuco (sp?)) damages one of the trapeeze ropes, so that they fall off and die. All you see though is the broken rope, and the audience’s reaction.

No point mentioning the Simpsons just for Poochie, Maude Flanders and Bleeding Gums Murphy. Marvin Monroe is also dead, under unknown circumstances and, of course, Scratchy gets killed all the time in ways too horrible and graphic to describe. And this was years before those copycats created Kenny.

Hans Moleman of The Simpsons. He was executed at the Springfield Jail, run off the road while driving Edgar Allen Poe’s birthplace, had his brain drilled out by Mr. Burns, and his Gremlin blew up, but that was a Halloween special so it doesn’t really count.

The protagonist in Aeon Flux (was that her name?) got killed in every one of the original shorts made for Liquid Television. I think this was the first example of the same character getting killed repeatedly in the same show, but I’ve frequently been wrong about such things in the Cafe lately, so I’ll just wait until someone corrects me, which will likely happen soon.

Johnny Quest.

One particularly vivid memory I have is of Race Bannon using a machine gun to mow down a bunch of bad guys. I believe he shot around a corner by bouncing the bullets off the blade of a bulldozer.