How many of the ten Best Picture nominees have you seen?

I just saw 127 Hours and, as much as one can work out from a message board, I’d bet that you would like it. If you have liked any of Danny Boyle’s movies just forget the content. All of his movies sound like they are about terrible things but they are all full of life and energy and end up very affirming.

I’m up to eight now. Just saw Winter’s Bone. Can’t believe it made the cut for the top ten. I mean, it’s good, it’s just not … great. Give me a day or two and I’ll come up with four movies that I would say deserve to be nominated over that one.

I’ll see either 127 Hours or Black Swan tomorrow, then the other one next week. Cha-ching!

I just saw King’s Speech yesterday.

Inception is still clearly the best movie…by a lot.

I’d rank them:

1. Inception
  2. Toy story 3
  3. King’s Speech
  4. True Grit
  5. Social Network

Of the ones I saw.

OK, just saw True Grit yesterday and that bumps me up to 9/10; still need Black Swan.

In order of my preference:

1. The King’s Speech
  2. True Grit
  3. 127 Hours
  4. Inception
  5. Winter’s Bone
  6. The Social Network
  7. The Kids Are All Right
  8. Toy Story 3
  9. The Fighter
    mmm

Just watched Social Network on demand. I have to say that I liked it more than I thought I would, but I don’t see it as an Oscar winner. So that makes 8/10, lacking only 127 Hours and The Kids are Alright.

I’ve seen Toy Story 3, The Social Network, True Grit, and The King’s Speech, in that order.

When I cast my vote I had only seen 3, and they were all great.
Inception
The Social Network
Winter’s Bone

Over the weekend I watched The Kids are All Right, and what a piece of garbage that was.

I accidentally voted 4 when I should have voted 5.
The reason for the low amount is that I have no interest in seeing the other 5…maybe when they come on cable, but just not that interested to go see them in a theater.

We watched The Kids are All Right on demand last night. Not a bad movie for the genre, but not best-movie caliber, IMO. Perhaps best actress for Annette Bening, though. I doubt we’ll see 127 Hours; my wife hates those tension-filled films, and I hate paying theater prices for an iffy movie.

I just saw 127 Hours yesterday (which brings me to nine of the ten), and it’s great. Fantastic job by James Franco, and director Danny Boyle makes this into something really special. I don’t know how tension-filled it is … you know from the start he’s getting out of his situation (we even know how, eventually). I thought the combination of music and storytelling techniques and everything made it into a gripping, entertaining, engaging movie.

Now, the actual “do it yourself surgery” scene … that’s the part you may want to avert your eyes for, but it’s only about two minutes or so.

Very good movie, well deserved nominations for both it and Franco.

I’ve seen 7 (Winter’s Bone, 127 Hours and The Fighter).

I had no interest in The Fighter, but my daughter saw it and loved it, and picks Bale over Rush for Supporting Actor. Causes me to rethink a bit, but I doubt I’ll get to it before the Oscars.

My personal favorite (and I believe an Oscar shoo-in) is King’s Speech, but Black Swan was a really impressive piece of work. I actually enjoyed all 7 very much.

1. Still gotta see True Grit and The Fighter.

Social Network for best picture. Black Swan, Inception, Toy Story 3 and Winter’s Bone were all great and worthy of best picture too. 127 Hours was good, but I had a hard time following all of the flashback stuff, which didn’t even matter to the scheme of things anyway and seemed to be in there just to push it past 90 minutes. The Kids Are Alright was way overrated, and The King’s Speech felt like a movie constructed just to win Oscars, and was totally dull to watch.

I just saw Biutiful. I’m up to five. I’ll try to catch one more before the Oscars, perhaps.

My rankings:

1. The King’s Speech
  2. Biutiful
  3. Inception
  4. True Grit
  5. Toy Story 3

ETA: Rankings being relative, of course. There’s not a single one of them that I didn’t think was quite good. I was most surprised to see Inception on the nominated list, though. For some reason, it just didn’t strike me as “that” kind of movie.

ETA Further: So…Biutiful wasn’t one of the nominees for Best Film, you say? Bah. I think that’s unfortunate.

The Kids are All Right. It was not worth it. It was shot like a made-for-tv movie from the early nineties. It would have been a fun flick to catch on Netflix instant some rainy evening I guess, but it was not an award winner It was so unmemorable that, despite being the only theater movie I’ve seen in the past two years, I couldn’t even remember the plot until I checked it out at IMDb.