How many people died in the third wave of the Spanish flu

This is my understanding of the Spanish flu

First wave - not too deadly

Second wave - extremely deadly mutated strain but it was so deadly because the war effort helped it spread. Troop movement and people going to work when sick to support the war allowed the virulent strain to spread.

Third wave - same deadly strain as second wave, but due to the war being over it didn’t kill or spread nearly as much.

But for whatever reason I can’t find how many died in each wave. How many people died in the second vs third wave?

A quick glance at wiki for the Spanish Flu gives these two reference papers regarding the third wave.

Milorad Radusin (2012). “The Spanish Flu – Part II: the second and third wave”. Vojnosanitetski pregled. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
https://www.rastko.rs/cms/files/books/5218e8f259be8 (PDF)

“1918 Pandemic Influenza: Three Waves”. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 11 May 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/three-waves.htm

See also: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/25/fact-check-total-deaths-each-spanish-flu-wave-unknown/3024648001/

The third wave occurred in fewer locations. At least one source mentions a fourth wave in 1920 with even less international exposure. All the above sources admit death totals are a guesstimate due to both the reporting procedures (secrecy and how deaths were assigned) and flood of casualties. Many regions of the world had no effective means of reporting (interior China exposure for example).

A couple of unique areas were that this flu attacked the relatively youthful portion of the population - triggered an overreaction of the immune system and the flu spread and persisted during summer/warmer weather months.

Good reading - also mentioned the use of masks back in the US during the epidemic. Had to be masked to ride transportation for example.

I almost tend to disregard the first wave because it was initially isolated. I tend to think of the much larger global outbreak in the Fall of 1918 as being the real first wave of pandemic. About 70% of the victims died during the fall/winter 1918 outbreak and most of the remaining 30% died throughout 1919. It wasn’t until 1920 that people began to feel as though they had escaped flu death.

This is what jumps right out at me when you start googling images about the flu pandemic of 1918: everyone was masked. There are pictures of nurses in Seattle making their own masks, just like now. How we somehow lost that basic common sense knowledge - even at the C D fucking C level - I just don’t quite understand.

Social distancing also yield clear, compelling, contrasting results: cities that enforced it early had fewer deaths than cities that were slow to embrace it. And the city that’s most widely credited for its early social distancing policy, St. Louis, saw a sudden spike in deaths once they relaxed their enforcement: a lesson we could still possibly apply to the situation today, but seemed determined to waste just like all of the other lessons we could have learned from a century ago.

I thought the third wave was the most deadly, as a ratio of people getting sick, compared with the first two. But that was because the second wave was the biggest, and infected the most numbers. So by the time people got sick during the 3rd wave, they were the remaining weakest people. By that point, though, most everybody had survived it or was in a place where it was no longer spreading.