How many people find the BIGGRIN icon to be racist?

I think this was unnecessary.

In MAD Magazine, in its comic-book format days, the magazine printed a version of Ernest Lawrence Thayer’s poem “Casey at the Bat,” illustrated by Jack Davis. At two points there is a “biggrin” similar to the alleged “racist” smiley: One, when the first pitch to Casey is a “ball,” not Strike One!", as called by the umpire, who stands with his back to the plate and making the call (cf. Ken Burkhart, 1970 Series), while the catcher hands him money for making the bad call. The catcher’s face has the “biggrin”. The catcher is, from all appearances (and I regret I only have this in the reprint, which renders the illustrations only in black and white) Caucasian. Two, in the second-to-last panel in the story, when a chortling kid chases a woman with a little snake in his hand; his face has the “racist” biggrin. :smiley:

Woah, good buddy! You really don’t want me, Tars Tarkas and Podkayne on your case, do you? TAKE THAT BACK!

The Tharks (green martians) sort of like the :smiley: ; at least that’s what Tars once told me over a glass of blood wine.

Dejah Thoris says the red martians aren’t offended by this :mad: one, except that it promotes the sterotype that they are continually in a bad mood. Maybe the frown could be modified? Of course, it would no longer indicate “mad”, but it would be PC.

As far as the “bastards” part of your comment goes, my daddy was a travlin’ man, so I have no complaint. If the others take issue with you about it, :eek: for you!

No no no. The Jews and the Chinese have several things in common you see…

Both are very family-oriented
Both consider education to be very important
and…
Both love Chinese food. :wink:
As for you, John Carter, you watch it or I’ll send all the armies of Pellucidar after you.

Well then, hail fellow (warrior) well met. Bring it On! Tars and I welcome such scuffles ever and anon. Only thing is, a little word of caution here; ahem: All that sword rattling and clanging and so forth is one thing. If I were you, I’d be careful about messin’ around too much on Mars. If you piss Podkayne off, you’re gonna’ have a real problem, Dude.

Little Black Sambo is not the type of black person that stereotypically eats watermelon. He is from India. This is obvious since it is tigers that he outsmarts. The fact that he is not Afro-American and the fact that he is actually very cleaver are two reasons it was ridiculous when the story was banned. I guess our little :smiley: and Little Black Samson have something in common.

I happen to be a green ping pong ball with three large teeth.

Yes. I find the icon VERY offensive.

Green Ping Pong Balls Everywhere. UNITE!

Damn right!

Stop it! You’re making me miss Smashie, who would so fit right here.

:sniff:

I really agree. This left a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for saying something, Yondan.

Ever see the recent picturebook re-telling of “Little Black Sambo” ? Sets the story in a PROPER India and replaces the nasty stereotypes with an attractive Indian family. Very cool book!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0062050648/qid=1020964387/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-1196548-6052800

That’s it!! Earth is going down!!! We’re loading the invasion ships as i speak!!! (or post, or type, or whatever…)

Frankly, the big grin is not racist, but having a jewish smilie but no other religious smilie is odd.

At least one of the other ones is a Presbyterian smilie.

I’ve been trying to convince Winkelried to delete it, but the bastard seems to enjoy mocking that particular denomination.

I’m Asian, and to be honest, it’s crossed my mind (about the eyes), but I never thought “it’s racist”.

I think it’s cute, and I love it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hey Tars. John’s actually a human. Get him!

Do you think that Tars and I cannot see through your ill-conceived ploy to divide us and conquer,Arken ? Mars rules!

Pha! Tars and I would never fight on different sides! We shall crush your racist armies and chain you up to be the sex toy of Woola, the Calot. :eek: Ever had your leg humped by a ten-legged dog, Arken? You ain’t gonna’ like it!

John is one of the good humans. Now Arken…“Helm, set course for Arken! And ready the Martian Superweapons!”

Whew! I’m glad the majority opinion seems to agree with me. (Except for you vile Martian haters out there…)

Haha! I’ve tricked you! Pulls off hat, reveals third eye For I am a Venusian and-

Oh wait, wrong sci-fi.

::: wonders if John Carter, Tars Tarkas, et al. have ever read Rainbow Mars by Niven ::::