How Many Pills Do You Take Each Day?

Add me to the list of birth control and vitamin Dopers.

I took ibuprofin for a headache eight years ago. I remember because that was when I was with my ex-girlfriend and she recommended it. Nothing since.

Just prenatal vitamins.

I take a multi-vitamin, Tums as a calcium supplement (for osteoporosis), and aspirin. I guess the aspirin is standard for a year after major surgery. Once a week I pop a Fosamax.

Hubby takes 11 different meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, bad cholesterol, etc.

Morning:
Diovan (for blood pressure)
1 full-strength enteric coated aspirin
2 acidophilus tablets

Evening:
1 full-strenght enteric coated aspirin
When I have my period, I add two more acidophilus. They seem to combat yeast infection.

My new GP has a theory that the aspirin might keep me from forming quite so many kidney stones.

I also usually end up taking a Vicodin by late afternoon/early evening for back pain. If it’s a really hard day, I might take another one at bedtime.

My 28-year-old morbidly obese brother died in October out of the blue of a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung). (I got a call at 4:00 saying he had called an ambulance for chest pain. I got the second call before 6:00 PM.) While this doesn’t necessarily point to a “family history” of blood clots, my OB just wanted to be safer than sorrier.

None

None

Morning:
25 mg Aciphex (for the next few months, for endoscopy recovery and prevention of nausea)
300 mg Wellbutrin XL (indefinitely, for depression)

Evening:
100 mg Seroquel (indefinitely, antipsychotic :))
75 mg Lamictal (indefinitely, mood stabilizer)
50 mg Trazadone (indefinitely, antidepressant/sleep aid)

Optional:
Claritin (usually only during the spring, for allergies)
Klonopin (tranquilizer, for when I’m feeling manic)

Someday I hope to be off everything, but I’m not sure if that will happen.

Birth control, multivitamin, and evening primrose. Oh and a handful of ibuprofen before I go to bed to help with the jawache.

I saw this thread title and OH CRAP I TOTALLY FORGOT TO TAKE MY BIRTH CONTROL I WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE IT OVER 6 HOURS AGO!

So just one. And thanks, Avarie, for reminding me.

I honestly never forget to take it. I’ve been on it for like two years and this is only the second time I’ve ever forgotten.

Hopefully, the OP will forgive this slight hijack. But my ibuprofen and naproxen use was exactly why my GP gave me Vicodin. He said a little bit of Vicodin is better, health-wise than a lot of ibuprofen and naproxen.

Hoo boy…

Asacol, 12 pills per day in doses of four at a time (for ulcerative colitis)
Mercaptopurine, 2 pills a day (for ulcerative colitis – apparently, this was originally a leukemia chemotherapy drug! whee!)
Predisone, 30 mg a day in 6 evil-tasting little pills (for ulcerative colitis)
Iron, 2 caplets a day (to try to restore my iron from all the bleeding the colitis causes)
Potassium, 2 massive horse pills a day (cause my absorption of nutrients isn’t so hot)
Immodium Advanced, 4 pills a day in two sets of two (to battle the, er, unfortunate intestinal consequences of taking all those other medicines)
Tylenol Extra Strength, as many as I can cram in my gullet (for headaches, carpal tunnel, tummy aches and other bad things, because the colitis makes it so I can’t take any other OTC pain relievers)

And if I can count medicines that don’t come by pill:

Remicade, one two hour infusion every 8 weeks or so (for, you guessed it, ulcerative colitis)

Pretty depressing for a 26 yr old. pleh.

1. No pills, nada, zip, zilch.

I do spray my nose for allergies (one cortical steroid spray, one antihistamine). Does that count?

I’m sorry about your brother, hon. I was on aspirin too for my first pregnancy (wierd blood clotting results) but we haven’t made a determination yet for future pregnancies.

Thanks, and good luck.

IANAD but I think this is not true. Synthroid, being a T4 med, has a long half-life. You can therefore obtain the dose your doctor wants you on by taking one dose Monday/Wednesday/Friday and a different dose Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday. Skipping a dose or being inconsistent about when you take your pills isn’t as critical as it would be for a T3 med which has a short half-life. (In fact, if you miss your dose, you should just take it along with your next dose).

Taking on a full stomach instead of an empty stomach, or taking them with calcium or iron supplements, means a significant portion of what you swallow doesn’t get taken up and used — if you’ve titrated your dose based on a consistent, dependable pattern of whether you take them with food (or even calcium supplements) or not, the consistency will cause you to end up on a dose that works with that pill-taking pattern. Varying all over the map will lead to wild variation from dose to dose as far as what your body does with it, and that’s not good, but it’s not really true that “you might as well not be taking it at all”.

'Scripts will have to wait for insurance to kick in - probably September. And then I can just get these (#@*)# wisdom teeth out anyways.

4 500mg. Metformin and 4 5gm. Glipizide, for diabetes, daily. I detest pills, too. I can’t wait for the day I can go on insulin injections!

Toprol and Hydrochlorot (1 pill each) for high blood pressure

None.

No, wait, 23. Sometimes I forget. I’ve got a pill for that, too.