How many tattoed people care what the world at large thinks of them?

Self explanatory.

I called everybody up and took a poll.

The answer is 42.

All of them, or they wouldn’t have bothered.

bella and Baron, you are a couple of wags, you are!

My mistake for not actually making this a poll for the tattoed amongst us.

Dear; now I’m afraid we’re never going to reach a consensus.

Everyone cares what people think about them.

That’s true, even if they claim they don’t care.

I concur; anyone who says otherwise is full of horse feathers. However, there is a huge difference in what we individually care about, as far as our appearnce in the eyes of others’.

I care deeply if I am viewed as kind, intelligent, a good neighbor, co-worker, what have you. These things matter a great deal.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t prefer being thought of as reasonably attractive, as opposed to traffic stopping ugly. But now we’re into territory where it’s so totally subjective that I have no control in the matter. I know there’s a good portion of people that find tattoos unattractive; just as plenty of people don’t like blonde hair, or pale skin or big breasts. God forfend anyone start a thread about their hatred of any of those, though.

Not I.

As a matter of fact, I’ve even gotten a new one since the whole clusterf*ck at work with the dress code being changed to require tattoos be covered.

I do care what people think of me in general. I’m good at my job, I try to be a nice person, I sit on a committee for a local charity, and I love my husband most days. Whether or not I have tattoos has no bearing on any of those qualities.

Who are you to judge me?

If I had a tattoo (which I don’t, still waiting for a design to appeal to me for more than 12 months), I wouldn’t care what the world at large thought of my tattoo. I would like to be thought of as a reasonable, intelligent, competent, kind individual, so I care what people think of me in those respects. But with respect to a tattoo I chose to get? I absolutely could not care less.

I do care what people think of me, but the world at large doesn’t know I have a tattoo, so it doesn’t really matter either way.

I care. I always care what people think of me. I don’t care so much about being perceived as attractive. I more don’t want people to judge me as impulsive or unintelligent or a troublemaker, as none of those things are true. But I guess they’d figure that out eventually.

I care in that I know that lots of people base snap judgements on things like funky hair colors, tattoos and piercings, so I chose to get mine where it won’t be seen in professional and social occasions. I don’t agree with those judgements, but I’m sure as hell not going to compromise my safety or happiness or prosperity by trying to fight them via controversial body art. It helps in that I have virtually no desire to have controversial, visible, or massive body art in the first place.

If someone is with me on the beach, and feels offended by my tattoo at that time, I really don’t give a rip.

Everyone cares what some people think about them.

How many tattoed people care what the world at large thinks of them?

If we’re talking about the guys in the state penitentiary with massive neo-Nazi tats on their neck and face - I’m betting they don’t care a whole lot about the “world at large”.

Attempting to look fearsome is a form of caring. :wink:

If you have a visible tattoo, you care what people think about you.
As much as you want to believe you got this tattoo for yourself, you got it to project an image. If there is a picture you want to see all the time you would keep it in your wallet, or hang a poster. If you want to be identified with this picture, you put it on your body, so people can identify you with it.

This is why I got my Rainbow Dash tattoo.