How many "types" of Terminators are there?

A not-so silly question this time…How many types of “Terminators” are there?

I know of the…

T-1000, as played by Robert Patrick.
•The T-600 was mentioned in the original Terminator movie. The '600s were said to have rubber “flesh.”
Whatever type Arnie’s “Terminator” is. Sources alternately call him a T-800 and a T-101. I’m personally willing to believe that “800” is his series number,
101" his model number.
•And of course, the T-X, from T3.

In addition, the Terminator 2 “thrill ride” at Universal Studios has a T-1000000 (Not a typo), and a few “primitive” T-100’s. But that information is second hand.

So…did I miss anyone? Or, more importantly, are there any other types of Terminators named or featured in novelizations, comics, or any other “semi-canon” works?
Thanks for your time,

Ranchoth

Depends on the financing.

T3 also featured those things with the tread tires that were labeled “T-1.”

You could make a case that those were the first Terminators.

Are they just T-800’s without the flesh?
-Ben

Yes

From various sources including the flicks, one novel that isn’t a novelization of a movie, and a couple-three different comic books, I offer the following (possible) clarifications…

The T-101 is the metal skeleton model, no frills.

The 600 series was a T-101 with rubber skin, only convincing at a distance.

The 800 series is a T-101 chassis, with cloned flesh covering. Looks good up close, bad breath and all.
(Let’s say the one with an Arnie skin covering is the 801, the one seen invading the resistance base in the first Terminator was an 802, etc. etc.)

The important parts of these are identical. Same model, different (or no) optional bits.

The T-1000 was the liquid metal machine.

The T-X was either the next step, or the prototype for, the T-1000. Liquid metal over a different chassis.
The evidence does seem to suggest it’s a much more advanced model than the one seen in T2, but it’s possible that the hybrid endoskeleton/liquid metal thing is the first step towards the totally liquid T-1000.

Before the T-X, I suspected that Skynet was using a binary nubering system, making the 101 the fifth version of the Terminators, and the 1000 the eighth version.
[sub]I could’ve had a v8.0![/sub]

And of course, there’s a whole slew of non-terminator robots used by Skynet as well. The monster tanks, the Hunter-Killers both large and small, the little flying things from the Universal Studios ride along with the T-1000000…

Before seeing the movie, I wondered how TX would exactly be an improvement over the T-1000. I mean, how much better than a totally adaptable killing machine does it get? Then I realized that in addition to being the only terminator capable of bringing futuristic weapons into the past, the liquid nitrogen that froze the T-1000 would likely have only resulted in the temporary destruction of the TX’s liqud “skin.”

Still, the TX doesn’t seem to have any huge enhancements over the T-1000 the way the T-1000 did over the T-800. Perhaps that’s why it doesn’t stick to the same numbering system.

I’m thinking it’s more the result of an unimaginative screenwriter, but that’s possible, too.

:smiley:

Originally there was just a single terminator on the moon.
From Merriam-Webster’s online richardsnary:

Main Entry: ter·mi·na·tor
Pronunciation: -"nA-t&r
Function: noun
Date: 1770
1 : the dividing line between the illuminated and the unilluminated part of the moon’s or a planet’s disk
2 : one that terminates

…it might be possible, also, that the Skynet-dominated future scene in T3 is an “alternate” future from the one that sent back the Terminators in T1 and T2…to the point, it might be a future where the T-X was built instead of the T-1000.

Anythin’s possible, when it comes to time travel, I su’pose.

Haven’t seen the film yet, but that was my idea, as well. Remember that Judgment Day obviously didn’t come on August 29th, 1997, so the “future” in T3 is a different one than the one in Terminator and T2.

I was always under the impression that T-### was a “class” of terminators. The T-600 was a rubber skinned endoskeleton. The T-800 is living tissue over an endoskeleton. The T-1000 is liquid metal.

Now, the model numbers refer to different versions of the same basic model. Model 101 might look like arnold, while model 102 might look like that guy from T1.

Of course the movies can’t get it straight themselves. In T2, I think arnie said he was a T800, model 101, which is what makes sense to me. In T3, he says “T-101”.

I had the impression the T-X was possibly concurrent with the T-1000 series, since it has a different purpose. In T3 she is said to be specifically designed to fight other machines. (It’s not specifically mentioned, but it appears that Skynet anticipated someone sending back the T-800 so sent her instead of a T-1000, since she’s perfectly capable against innocent humans as well.)

In addition to IBE[sup]*[/sup] technology, the T-X also has the ability to ‘take over’ other machines, though exactly how this works is a little muddled - it doesn’t work against Arnold’s CPU, but can add remote control to a completely mechanical system like a police car’s brakes.

Where does Johnny 5 fit into the series?
[sup]*[/sup] Instant Breast Enhancement.

In RoboCop vs. the Terminator, there’s a little child-sized terminator used on a couple of occassions, but no designated number is given. Throughout the various comics, there are all types of different looking ones, including female looking terminators (the first seen in the book Scorched Earth).

There’s also one that looks like a dog in flesh form, but some strange crab-like creature when it shreds threw that. Again, no designation given.

Just out of curiosity, never having been on the Universal Studios ride, what the hell is a T-1000000?

A terminator with a Napoleon complex?

The T-1000000 was a gigantic liquid metal spider thing. It looked very, very cool. It used its legs as weapons, etc.

The Universal Studios “Terminator” exhibit was by far the coolest thing in the park when I went there in late 1997.

As described, the T-1000000 is just a larger-scale T-1000, with it’s default shape loking like a spider of some kind.

In the course of the “ride”, the audience is wearing 3-D glasses so it looks like the T-1000000’s “tentacles” are lunging at your face. Mega-cool. Unimaginatively, though, the T-1000000 suffers the same fate as the T-1000, being frozen in liquid nitrogen and shattered. This is accompanied by sprinklers spraying the audience with a brief icy blask of water vapour.