How much garlic is too much?

I do this for any internet recipe I find. I am not Korean though. Puerto Rican and Black.

How much rice did you make? Did you put the cloves in unmolested or squished? Three whole only unpeeled cloves of elephant garlic will barely leave a glimmer of a taste of garlic. Three pressed cloves of that strong purple stuff fried quickly in some olive oil. . . for a garlic lover.

Missed edit window: Twice the recipe is one thing. One head= one clove is quite another.

If you’re sleeping alone, then there is no such thing as too much garlic (unless vampires from the next county are calling your house to complain).

Too much garlic? I’m not sure what you mean.

If the aroma of garlic isn’t coming out of your pores the next day, it’s not enough.

There’s never enough garlic. Note my locale.

For uncooked/raw garlic, about one clove for about 4 people is enough.

In a cooked sauce, about 1 medium sized clove per person is strong but not excessive.

Do taste buds fatigue the way your smelling ability does? In college, we were making garlic butter to go with a dorm spaghetti dinner. It was long ago, so we were using either garlic powder or garlic salt. We were sniffing to determine if there was enough garlic, and kept adding more.

Once we decided we were probably suffering aroma fatigue, we finally took it to another room for an opinion. We barely got in the door when we told that there was plenty of garlic in the butter.

Note that this was a small college attended mostly by the descendants of northern Europeans, so the concept of “too much garlic” was well understood.

Ha! I did that too once. Once.

So, how is the garlic ice cream? I’ve always been curious but not enough to make the drive.

OK, you got me. You can have too much garlic (any) on ice cream. That said, I’m told it’s not bad, but I don’t speak from experience.

Ahh. Is there any other weird concoctions you can tell us about from the garlic festival? Is it just normal fair food garlic-ized* or is there any other weird stuff like garlic ice cream?

This thread has made me hungry.

• I don’t think that’s a real word.

There’s garlic wine, which I’ve tried and I’m willing to go so far as to say it wasn’t utterly retched. As far as the Gilroy Garic Festival, they have ton of different food choices, a lot of it really awesome, although they have to mass produce it so it’s not fine cuisine. But it’s not just completely weird stuff like garlic ice cream. Look for the guy cooking with a giant frying pan in the Gourmet Alley and get some pesto pasta and calamari. And yes, there is your average fest food as well, but it’s nice to have choices. BTW, last year the garlic ice cream was free, so it’s well worth the price. :wink:

There’s also cooking/recipe contests, which I haven’t witnessed but the results are impressive. Here’s last year’s winners (scroll down) including recipes. They also produce a Gilroy Garlic Cookbook that gets updated I think every year, and we’ve cooked from it with good garlicy results.

Anyway, it’s a lot of fun, and I guarantee you won’t leave hungry.

Thoroughly cooking garlic will reduce the pungency, but it also brings out other, more subtle, flavors in it. I generally use this as an excuse to double the amount of garlic in a recipe, frying up half of it right at the beginning with the meat and onions, and adding the rest of it late in the process where it won’t get as cooked.

I usually go for about one clove per serving at a minimum, but it varies considerably from dish to dish.

I’ve never been to a garlic festival, but I have eaten at The Stinking Rose in San Francisco. They have both garlic wine and garlic ice cream and a ton of garlic in every dish. Their vegetable lasagne is about the best lasagne I’ve ever had, and their garlic pesto is to die for! As for the wine and ice cream, eh, they’re ok. The garlic in the ice cream was barely noticeable after such a garlicky meal. I only had a sample of their garlic wine, which wasn’t anything special. I opted for a garlic martini as my aperitif, which I thought worked quite well.

I’ve literally never said the words “too much garlic.” Unless it was preceded by “there’s no such thing as…”

I’ve yet to find it, at least with powder. The canned kind gets really sour fast. I don’t think I’ve had the raw kind, so I don’t know if it’s like the powder or the canned stuff. For all I know, the canned stuff is put in vinegar or something.

And, of course, there are foods for which any amount of garlic is too much.

Well, they sell garlic cloves in vinegar (pickled garlic) and garlic cloves preserved in brine. How is it that you’ve never had fresh garlic? There is a good bit of difference between raw garlic and powdered garlic. Raw garlic is far, far more pungent and “fresh” tasting. Also, the canned stuff is lacking in punch and flavor compared with the raw variety.

It’s interesting: the rice was kinda ok when I ate it right after cooking it (too sweet).

I just reheated some for lunch, and it was superb. There was a certain sweetness (no longer overpowering) now to it that was either the garlic or the onion, or both.

And now the microwave smells of garlic. :slight_smile:

And you guys got pickled garlic. Which I could eat all day.

If, after eating the garlicky meal, you wake yourself up at 2 a.m. with watering eyes because your entire body is exuding garlic fumes, then you’ve overdone it. (Yes, this comes from personal experience. :wink: )