How much is your auto insurance really impacted by a claim?

I discovered a chip in my car’s windshield a couple of weeks ago, and a day ago, I noticed that it was starting to crack. Well, shit – time to get that looked into.

Today, I went to a repair store to get it looked at because their website had quoted me $100 to fix the crack. However, when I got to the store, the repair person who looked at my windshield said he could see evidence that the chip had been repaired once before, and that such a repair could not be done twice. Thus, I’d need to replace the windshield if I wanted to fix the problem. Granted, I suppose he could have been lying in order to steer me toward spending more money with the company, but that doesn’t strike me as being all that likely. He wasn’t suggesting that my windshield was going to fall apart at any moment if I didn’t fix it – he just said I should get it replaced if the way the crack looked really started to bother me.

When I went inside, I was given a quote that was something north of $300 to replace the entire windshield. While spending $100 out of pocket didn’t faze me, this new dollar amount felt like a different ballpark. So now I have a decision to make about whether or not to file a claim with my insurance company.

I haven’t filed a claim for any insurance reason in probably close to 10 years, and never for anything so minor. I’ve been with Progressive for three or four years now, and I have, I believe, a $100 deductible for comprehensive. I haven’t called them yet to ask, but I’m wondering if folks here know if I’d end up regretting filing a claim to have my insurance replace the windshield because they may jack up my premium. Am I better off just paying for the replacement out-of-pocket? Or, I suppose, continuing to live with the chip and crack and hope it doesn’t turn into something disastrous while I’m driving in the middle of nowhere?

Is comprehensive the one that covers things like chips to your windshield (I get them all mixed up). IIRC, claims against that one typically don’t cause your rates to go up since getting hit with a stone or someone keying your car doesn’t really say anything about your driving ability. Of course, I’d imagine if you have enough of them they will eventually raise your rates or drop you as a client when you start costing them money.

Also, take a look at what your deductible is for comprehensive. I had an insurance buddy tell me that most insurance sales people will set it just above the cost of a new windshield so that you won’t/can’t claim a broken windshield on it and a broken windshield is the most common claim. He told me that right after I broke my windshield, found out it was $400ish dollars and saw that my comprehensive deductible was $500 (couldn’t claim it if I wanted too).
I changed my comprehensive deductible to $50 and I think my premium went up by something like $25 per year.

ETA, I see you said your deductible is $100. I’m curious to see what other say as well. When I was researching claiming my windshield, a lot of other people said to go ahead and claim it because they did and nothing happened. My insurance agent also suggested always claiming, but I always have to be weary that they’re just gunning for higher rates from someone with a clean record and low rates.

Given the nature of the claim and the fact that you haven’t had a claim in many years probably you won’t see any difference in your insurance rates if you file the claim for your windshield. If your insurance company finds itself financially unstable next year or something they could use the claim to justify a bump in premium but mostly insurance companies want to keep customers like you around and won’t be dicks about something like this.

The biggest concern you should have is that if you file this claim and then in the next 6 months to a year either have much bigger damage happen (tree branch falls on your car, hit and run, vandals, etc.) or get into an accident and have to file a second claim. It is very easy for most auto insurance companies to waive away a single claim but when you end up with more than one that is when the cost jumps fairly considerably.