How much time do the Mods spend moderating?

I don’t complain. I often take bugs away from the smaller, weaker moderators.

now they tell me.

Well, it is voluntary, but it can be a bit difficult to convince the other mods that you mean business.

Chronos: “It looks like I’ll have to step down in about a month”
Chronos: “Two more weeks before I have to start studying heavily again”
Chronos: “I’m staying on for another week, but then I’ll have to quit”
Chronos: “Just a reminder: I’ll only be here for three more days”
Chronos: “Well, it looks like tomorrow will be my last day as a mod”
TubaDiva: “What, you’re not leaving us already?”

And before you ask, I’m not interested again at least until I get my PhD.

Who are the staff members - or is that a secret??

No secret. By “Staff members”, Arnold was referring to the moderators and administrators of the Straight Dope Message Board.

handy: I think Lynn means moderating, mostly. She doesn’t post a lot - but she reads it all. Add to that the fact that she’s one of the administrators, and - poof! - there goes another three hours of your life.
FYI, and in response to your other remark: moderators on the Straight Dope Message Board are to follow the same rules as “normal” posters.

Hmmm. Test reply to see if it moves up in the forum list.

The members of the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board are also “Staff,” but they have no direct moderating/adminstrative responsibilities, and their status is not indicated under their names on the Board.

SDSAB Staff membership is not a secret - just check out the Staff Reports. Some SDSAB Staff post regularly on this board, others usually only in reponse to comments on their own reports.

Oh, errr, yeah. The smart guys that do the real work around here. Forgot about them for a minute. :slight_smile:

In truth, there is some overlap, as moderators/administrators sometimes write staff reports as well (not that I’m a particularly good example). But the majority of the SDSAB is not involved in moderating the message board.

Oh yeah? Make me.

After a friendly visit from my colleagues, I realize now that yes, of course we follow the rules to which normal posters are subjected. (medic!)

Managing those already written. I try to keep an eye on new registrations, and TRY to keep up with email. When my internet connection is slow and/or nonexistent, stuff can pile up quickly. I don’t use dialup, I don’t know how I’d cope if I did.

While I don’t read EVERYTHING, I do try to keep an eye on the most troublesome areas and threads. I read other forums. I look up posts by users, and track their IPs. I do a lot of stuff.

This time that I spend managing the board is time that I would otherwise use for posting.

So, you’re one of THEM!!