How much time do the Mods spend moderating?

Some questions about the fine art of moderating:

1. Do you have a fixed schedule?
  2. Is there a moderator “on duty” at any given time?
  3. How much time do you spend moderating?
  4. If a Mod wants to quit, how is it done?
  5. How is a new Mod chosen? Are bribes involved? :smiley:

[ol][li]No.[/li][li]We’re all volunteers, but yes, there’s usually always at least more than one staff member around. Counting everyone, not one per forum of course.[/li][li]Depends on the forum. But since we communicate on touchy issues / problem posters / etc… I would guesstimate 1 hour per day for most people.[/li][li]We’re not allowed to quit. :wink: But seriously, since we’re volunteers, you just say “I quit.” It’s polite to give advance notice though.[/li][li]We take suggestions from the current staff and/or the Teeming Millions. You can always nominate someone in ATMB or send an e-mail to one of the staff members. Then the administrators / moderators put in their votes. If you’re unlucky you get accepted.[/li][/ol]

I forgot one:

1. Have you ever nominated someone to be a Mod and they turned you down? If so, what was the reason, if you don’t mind me asking?

mods have to apply. it’s be a very odd situation for some one to apply then turn down the offer.

In answer #5, Arnold (the real Arnold) states that Mods can be nominated by the Teeming Millions and I was curious if the current Mods approached that poster and were turned down.

Some people apply and for whatever reason the staff / management decide that they’re not right for the job.
Some people are approached and say they wouldn’t be interested in turning in an application. Reasons given could be “it would take too much time” or “it doesn’t sound like fun to me.”

Thanks, Arnold. Love that fast, efficient service!

What planet are you from, Mr. W.? Ah, yes. Well, an hour may be enough for the resort planet CCC, but planet GQ is a mining colony. Now, where’s my damn pick and shovel?

In the Pit, it takes me 3-4 hours a day, minimum. And even at that, I don’t get everything done as I’d prefer. Perhaps I’d better rephrase that…I call it quits for the day after about 3 or 4 hours. I just can’t take any longer than that.

We’ve approached several people, asking them if they’d be interested in moderation duties. Some accept, at least a couple of them have turned it down.

What

Looks like some of our mods and admins didn’t read item 4©(iv) of the Moderator Contract. They’re supposed to be monitoring at least 8 hours a day, 10 on the weekends. Otherwise, pay is cut proportionally.

Moderating is a breeze. I spend maybe 15 minutes at a time, two or at most three times a week, usually while the supermodel du jour is putting on her makeup for a night out on the town (or “slipping into something more comfortable” afterwards at my mansion).

FOR GOD’S SAKE, SEND HELP! THEY KEEP US CHAINED IN THE BASEMENT OF THE CHICAGO READER! THEY FEED US MOLDY BREAD CRUSTS, AND SOMETIMES WE CATCH BUGS OR (if we get really lucky) A RAT! THEY BEAT US WHEN WE DON’T MOVE THREADS FAST ENOUGH!

PEOPLE–THERE ARE NO “HAMSTERS”! WE ARE THE ONES ON THE TREADMILL! IF CECIL ONLY KNEW–IT’S ALL THE FAULT OF HIS UNDERLINGS–CECIL IS A GREAT MAN! WE LOVE CECIL!

OH, NO! ZOTTI’S COMING!

What, they get the handle broken off their mug? :smiley:

Insert Solyent Green joke here.

Nice going guys. Are you doing your best to scare away any new [sub]suckers[/sub] prospects? :rolleyes:
You have to ease them into it gently. I remember I was promised a few minutes of light reading per day, with fresh grapes being delived to my doorstep by one of Cecil Adam’s minions.

ME, you’ve been eating the rats?? Those are specially trained rescue rats, you fool! Some of the Teemings have figured out your plight and have been sending those rats down to chew your chains off and free you! And you’ve turned our rescue efforts into Ratty à la king??

Really, I wash my hands of you!

With all that time moderating, do you have a hard time fitting in just regular old posting?

Well, Mr Blue Sky (I was going to abbreviate to Mr. B.S., as I do for most handles, but it didn’t look right) didn’t say what board his moderator question was about. On some boards I moderate, moderators are choosen, e.g. elected by the other mods & Admins. The mods get together & decide who would qualify. Mods there, have more rules then users & so we went through a few of them pretty fast.

I thought that some moderators had been invited to take up their position.

Nobody gets to be a moderator without submitting an application. Some people are invited to submit an application, but that doesn’t guarantee they’ll get the job. Only a sizeable bribe will guarantee that.

"In the Pit, it takes me 3-4 hours a day, minimum.
"

Is that for writing new messages or managing those already written?