How much would you sell your prized possession for?

Tangential to this thread

First off, what is your most sentimentally prized physical possession, excluding humans, but including pets/animals? Secondly, how much would someone have to pay you for you to sell it? Or would you not part with it, even for hilariously obscene sums? And how does that amount compare to whatever market value it has?

(One rule: once you sell it, it’s gone… you’ll NEVER be able to buy it back, no matter how much influence/power/wealth you end up with.)
For me, it’s probably the ticket/entry checkpoint from when my great grandparents brought the family from Eastern Europe to Ellis Island in 1911 or so. Right now, I have no pressing financial needs, but I’d certainly sell it for some amount, probably around 80 or 90 thousand dollars… enough to put in mutual funds and eventually pay for a child’s college education. My family, living and dead, are practical people who value education, and would not be bothered by that decision. I can imagine my price dropping quite a bit if I were in financial need.

My family photos.
I’d sell them for a hundred grand. Not that I ever expect anyone to buy them, but if they came up with a game show that offered me money to give them up, I’d do it.
I’d still have my memories AND a decent little home and car.

The ‘Om’ pendant my grandmother gave me? Nothing, never never never. She’s dead. I can’t get another one and she gave it to me right before she died and out of the love of her heart. She told me I was her favorite grandchild…sniffle.

The earrings from my SO I suppose I would sell for 100,000. But they’re the only emeralds I’ve got…although I suppose I could buy another set.

I wouldn’t sell the pearl jewelry his mother gave me, I think. There may be a price I would, but they’re gifts and I’d feel mighty shoddy.

Jewelry, silver - even though it’s inherited it’s just stuff and selling it wouldn’t remove the memories of the family members it came to me from. IOW, I’d hate to let it go but if I truly needed the money - to keep from losing the house, or pay for medical expenses or something, I’d let it go for its market value (or as close to it as possible). If money were available later, I could always buy replacement stuff.

OTOH, I’ve got a number of handmade items that have zero saleable value but very strong sentimental value (grandmother’s needlepoint etc.) and are therefore irreplaceable. These would be the first things I’d get out of a burning house (after the kids and the spouse. Probably :D). With these, the question is probably moot because nobody is going to offer me enough money to make it worth parting with them. We’d be talking 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars, and then only if it meant saving the lives of the spouse/kids.

There are places where you can buy a decent home and a car for $100,000?
Let me just speak for all SF Bay Area residents when I say… bite me!

Not to be rude or skeptical here but… what if someone offered you, say, 100 million dollars? Enough that you could endow and build the {Annamika’s Grandmother} Memorial Foundation for {charitable cause that was dear to both your hearts} and still have enough left over to make sure that all of her descendants got good college educations for many generations to come?

My answer to this depends entirely on a fine distinction of the definition of “most prized possession”.

My most prized possession is my astoundingly large collection of books. Cite.
Some of those things are out of print, and I wouldn’t let go of them without the certainty I’d get a replacement. But, if I knew I could just buy myself fresh copies, I’d let them all go for a reasonable sum. Say, several million US dollars. I like my books. But I’m not sure they count as a possession; more like a thousand possessions.

Besides those, I’d have to say my collection of dried roses. And those are not going for less than a truly obscene sum. I’m talking enough money to ensure that I can have my life dream several times over and still not have to work a day in my life ever again. And my life dream is a large, imposing castle equipped with the biggest library in the world, an entire wing devoted to kickass computers, a ballroom the size of a small school… et cetera. So realistically, you ain’t getting those roses from me. Ever.

Everyone and everything has a price, of course, and I’m sure there’s a price that can be reached for anything.

When I play that “your house in on fire, what do you grab on the way out” I always exclude family, pets and photos from the list of possibilities.

I’m just too soft I guess, photos and our pet cat would never be sold unless I was literally penniless, on the streets and with noone else to turn to. Even then it would be such a hard feeling to part with them.

It always got me to see the wall filled with advertisements for pets that could no longer be fed or looked after by owners in Russia who wanted them to go to a good home.

My wedding ring isn’t for sale.

(Tricksy hobbitses, always wanting me to sell my precious…)

Well, most of my prized possessions are gifts from my SO most notable this ring and this necklace I always where. However I would sell them in a minute for enough money to actually be wit him as opposed to sitting here crying over this beautuful ring and necklace. sniff

Other than that, my only prized possessions would be my art work. Which after all you’re supposed to created and then send out into the world (ideally at a profit :)). If it were a matter of losing everything…prints, negatives, computer files, everything I’ve ever done…that would be hard. But hey, maybe it would be good for me.

Nothing. Not two million dollars, not a hundred million dollars. No amount of money will make me sell my bass.

A friend of mine is a dealer in collectable knives and razors. I once overheard him talking with a customer, who was looking over one of Frank’s mother-of-pearl handled razors.
“How much for this one?”
“Six hundred fifty dollars.”
“Yow. Why so much?”
" 'Cause I like it. It’s for sale, but I’d really like to keep it."

I have some jewelry pieces from my grandmother that I wouldn’t sell for any amount of money. One, in particular, is a 24K gold ring that she designed herself and had made custom (she used to work in a jewelry store). When she was dying she made a rather big production about giving me the ring, along with a pair of large 24K gold hoop earings.

I just don’t care about money enough for any amount to be worth it. Perhaps if I was destitute, or had a child I couldn’t support, or needed to pay for an operation for someone, my opinion would change, but right now, given my current financial circumstances, there’s no amount of money that would get me to part with those items.

I looked at a nice two bedroom last week for 56 thousand. It was in a lovely older neighborhood and had a fenced in yard. Of course you have to deal with living in Memphis, but I’m used to it.

That leaves me with 44 for a car. I’d probably spend less than 20 for something decent. It definitely doesn’t have to be new.

First thought was, “Who cares so much for a fish?”

I use the same pricing system when people ask me to help them with computer troubles. I used to charge $50 an hour, but some fool actually took me up on it. Now I charge $80.

To answer the OP, I don’t have anything that’s of particular value to me. All the true family heirlooms are still in the hands of my parents and grandparents. There are lots of things with sentimental value, but in the end they’re just bits of paper and fabric. If someone wanted to give me a few thousand dollars for them, I’d be happy to take their money.

I wouldn’t sell my cat unless I was unable to care for her and I knew she was going to a good home. And in that case, I’d be happy to give her away. And, anyway, I don’t think of her as a posession (although I’m sure she thinks of me that way).

Name a price, I’d let it go. I’m realizing it’s not good to feel too connected to anything, and I have too much stuff anyway that I don’t need. Better to travel light, not have anything holding you in one place. Step right up, everything about Lou must go.

You think I’m joking. I’m not.

Yeah, I think I’m in the same boat. First, I can’t think what my most prized possession would be. So, you know, as long as you pay a fair price, you could pretty much have anything of mine you want, I guess. Particularly all the old furniture in my garage that I haven’t gotten around to donating yet. And whatever’s in my storage room. I haven’t been in there in a year, so I guess none of it is very prized. Lou, one point of disagreement: it’s okay to be connected to people; not good to be too connected to things. When I was in my early/mid-twenties, I did go through a “everything I own must be able to fit in my car” phase. Not so much anymore, but that was a good time.

I won’t include pets, because I wouldn’t sell them for the world.
(Well, maybe Maggie if she doesn’t stop attacking me in my sleep-my legs are all clawed up!)

My most valuable possessions are two-a pearl ring my godmother and favorite aunt gave me when I was born. My aunt died when I was eleven, and it’s just a very simple little ring-just a band of gold and a small little pearl.
The other is a little blue Holly Hobbie ragdoll. The ragdoll is the very first thing I ever owned-the day I was born, my dad ran out to the store and bought it for me. (Cue “aaaawwwwww” sounds here).