How often should you change the carpet or the flooring?

Home kitchen, living, den, dinning, bedroom, hallway

Business office light to medium traffic

Restaurant medium to heavy traffic

When it is worn out.

Or when you don’t like the way it looks and you want a change.

Oh. Not a euphemism.

I got nuthin’.

Well in my business rental properties we buy the cheapest carpet (cheapest suitable for an apartment/town house) and change it every three years. Some carpets are rated to last longer, but basically with carpet once enough of it is worn that carpet repair is no longer realistically feasible it’s time for new carpet.

I’ve been in hundred year old homes and older where slate floors or hardwood floors are no worse than they were a hundred years ago. Proper treatment can fix abrasions on surfaces like that–aside from individual blanks or slates being destroyed due to some extraordinary event you’d be good for basically ever. A lot of stone type tiles can be hard to match though, so if enough were destroyed you might want to consider replacing them all or redoing them in some way for aesthetic reasons.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Judge Judy says that landlords should replace the carpets and re-paint every five years.

For the home, have pets? Smokers? Children? Not having any of that, it will last a very long time, even longer if most don’t wear their shoes inside. I’ve been in homes where the carpet was well over twenty years old, and still looked probably pretty much like the day it was installed. This is generally from homeowners.

Whether or not my brother has to replace the carpets on his rentals depends a lot on the quality of renters he has. He has nice quality homes he rents, but there is often a considerable difference of those having pets and others that don’t, especially large pets. A few times he’s had to replace carpet that was less than two years old. Once he vacuumed the same carpet completely about four or five times (can’t remember the exact number) or so, and each time the VC picked up a full bag of dog hair. This is after the tenant had vacuumed as well. And a professional carpet cleaner having to go over it twice as well, IIRC. That was his worse case of it though. These tenants had two German Shepherds who were supposedly going to be having them staying outside most of the time, except in bad weather.

Pull up the carpet in the homes of so-called house broken pets, even if it is just a couple of years old, and you’ll probably be surprised how many pee stains you’ll find, and an odor that generally comes from carpet being urine soaked in it for a long period of time.