How Old is Cecil?

Looking good so far!

Cool! Just a few years after Jesus. I wonder if they knew one another?

Slight tangent, seeing the post about Cecil’s snark.

There was a thread somewhere on the SDMB not too long ago about the role and appropriateness of condescension in education/edification. Where is that thread now? Anyone have it bookmarked?

Knowing how old the actor is doesn’t tell us how old the character is.

If you ask me, he’ll never be de-Cece’d.

Right.

Correct. I suggest we make that a sticky.

Different strokes…

Moved from GQ to ATMB.

samclem, moderator

True for every case except Katharine Hepburn.

Cecil didn’t know Jesus, but he knew of him. Every time he’d preach, his disciples would come to Cecil afterward, and they’d be all like, “What’s a Samaritan? When is the eleventh hour, and why is it such a popular time to hire workers? Is it true that you can’t put old wine in new wineskins?”

I would say he’s amortal.

And they asked of Cecil, “Speak to us of strong drink”.

And Cecil replied, “Teeming Millions, have you ever seen an animal stumbling in a ditch, unsure of it’s direction, unable to walk?”

And they replied, “No, Cecil, we have not.”

And Cecil said to them, “Then you haven’t seen my horse.”

Has anyone ever depicted Cecil in a turban with a bomb on his head? Would we threaten the Dutch embassy if so?

Cecil has the wisdom of the ages. this offers a couple possibilities.

Cecil is really old (in order to have read lots of written knowledge) and a speed reader (in order to have read lots of written knowledge) and a non-deteriorating mind (in order to recall lots of written knowledge).

Cecil is a huge super computer (both start with the letter c, coincidence? i think not.) with all the wikis of the world, Wolfram research and all the data from all the government computer systems in the world.

those are not the most likely in my opinion.

i think Cecil is a collaborative effort of all the faculty of the University of Chicago (both start with the letter c, coincidence? i think not.). maybe a bunch of alumni too.

Cecil MUST be real… He’s in the newspapers! :wink:
Thanks, all, for the responses.

Cecil is first mentioned in ancient Babylonian tablets.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I believe it’s a matter of common knowledge that we’re on our third Cecil now, Mike Lenehan being the first incarnation, Dave Kehr the second and Ed Zotti the third. Whether there is a fourth waiting in the wings to step into the breach when Ed Zotti shuffles off this mortal coil or moves on to fresh woods and pastures new is unknown.

Cecil is like Keyser Soze. The greatest trick he ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.

“one of the very rare known sightings of Mr. Adams”

Obviously Photoshopped.