How on earth did I sleep for 20 hours?

Saturday night ran…late.

Alcohol was involved.

I finally stumbled to bed about 7:00 AM Sunday.

I woke up about 10:30 AM Sunday. Knew I should just get up. But I was still tired (surprise!) So I went back to sleep.

Woke up about 3:30 PM Sunday. Bad dreams. Went right back to sleep.

Woke up again about 10 PM Sunday. Drank two big glasses of water, used the bathroom. Went straight back to bed.

Woke up about 2 AM Monday. Again, went back to sleep.

Finally woke up about 3:30 AM on Monday. That’s just over 20 hours of sleep by my count. My dreams had been…troubling. Decided to stay up. Did some laundry. Went to work at about 6 AM, I’ve been up until now. Mostly felt normal, though I’m dead tired now at about 10:15 PM. I should sleep, but the mind races.

How on earth did I sleep for so long?

Are you a teenager?

My college roommate was capable of doing that. He’d get blitzed on Friday night, pretty much sleep all day on Saturday, and wake up right around dinnertime on Saturday.

He’d complain about totally losing a day…but he did it two or three times in the year we lived together.

No, I am a “responsible” adult.

27 years old.

Even as a teenager, I never pulled off a stunt like this.

This sounds like my wife. With no major distractions she can sleep 14 hours without even trying.
I couldn’t even sleep for eight hours if I wanted too. This gap is what I call, “Me Time”. :wink:

I’ve done this a few times… this is the only way I can recover from a hangover. If I plan to be drinking, I always make sure to have the entire next day completely free for recovery.

Seems like your body needed it.

I find that sleeping after getting reasonably intoxicated isn’t really registered as “sleep” to my body. I can be unconscious for 10 hours after drinking, and still need another 8 hours immediately upon becoming sober or overcoming a hangover.

I turn 27 in 2 weeks.

I used to lose a lot when I was young and worked three jobs. I’d be up for 48 hours straight then sleep a few hours then, long story short, on Friday I would hit the bed at 8am and I wouldn’t wake up really till Sunday afternoon.

I probably got up and went to the restroom but I couldn’t recall. Not healthy at all but you do what you have to do to pay the bills.

Now I just did that. I was working on a project and I do a lot of the formal planning in my head, and it was so cold that I got into bed and instead of waking up at 9am. I went back to sleep, and it was so cold outside and my bed felt so nice, and I didn’t have to be anywhere. I wound up getting up, going to the bathroom, climbing into bed, and I bascially just said “Now what next on my project,” closed my eyes and fell alseep.

I think it was the very cold weather outside coupled with my warm covers that made that long length of sleep possible. I certainly didn’t need it.

I was sick once with the flu or something like that and slept for…hmmm about the same, only without all the waking up. I went to bed and then slept until 7pm the next day, when I woke up I thought it was morning and I was really really confused when my mom was making dinner for breakfast before school…we NEVER had breakfast (well cereal or something but nothing cooked) on a school day.
I dont recall going to the bathroom but sick as I was it woulndt surprise me at all. I guess I was looked in on but I still cant believe they let me sleep that long.

I got sick with something when I was about 21/22. I went to bed on a Thursday night and, but for going to the batroom here and there, didn’t see the light of day until Saturday morning.

What’s really bad is when you wake up at 8:00 during the summer, it’s cloudy outside, and you honestly aren’t sure if it’s 8:00 AM or 8:00 PM. That’s a weird feeling.

If I have not been sleeping well for a few days or even weeks, I have been known to come home from work and sleep from 5 pm to 6 am waking up briefly at 2 am. Really weird. I guess my body calls in it’s debts on occasion.

I’ve totally been there. Late spring, one year in high school, a friend of mine called me up, waking me from a sound sleep. Glanced over at the clock: 6-something. Could not for the life of me figure out what he was babbling about or why it was so important that he had to call me before school to talk about it. Why not just wait until we saw each other in class, right?

Nope. 6-something p.m., it turned out. :smack:

The only time I’ve slept 18 hours was due to jet lag and bad travel. We flew from CA to Chicago to London to Barcelona in one really hideous day, hitting Barcelona in the afternoon. We crashed at our hotel and THOUGHT we were getting up at 6:00 am the next morning. Nope- 6:00 pm. :eek: We ran around Barcelona for a few hours, ate a bunch of food, then slept again so we would get back on schedule.

I can sleep 10 hours easy, then 2-4 hour “naps” all day after that if I’m sick or really stressed.

I’ve found that the really messed-up crazy and disturbing dreams happen when I’m having “rested” sleep, meaning I really probably don’t need to be sleeping.

I’ve slept for over 24 hours several times, without knowingly waking up to go to the bathroom or anything. I was sick with bad bugs each time.

I normally need at least 7 and a half hours to feel rested, but I can and do sleep for 14+ hours easily if I don’t set an alarm. Anything more than 11 and I feel groggy upon waking.

The only time I ever slept for more than 12 hours (and only 12 when I’ve been sick) is the very last time I ate pizza; I hadn’t wanted to, but we were informed at noon during an all-day meeting in the middle of nowhere that they’d decided on pizza instead of subs and had already ordered for us. If they’d been upfront I’d of brought a sandwich. Apparently Papa John’s pizza has a lot more basil in their sauces than any other I’ve ever eaten, because despite scraping as much sauce as possible off the pizza before eating it, I spent the last five hours of the meeting wanting to scratch my skin off - that’s the day I learned your mouth can itch too. As soon as I got home I took three benadryl and slept 14 hours without waking once. Fortunately, I no longer had hives when I woke up.

Yep. My dad used to work 7am to 7pm one month and 7pm to 7am the next because his employers were sadists. I took an afternoon nap during the summer and he called before coming home, waking me out of a sound sleep. I talked to him for over a minute before admitting to myself I had no idea when it was and finally asking if it was 6:45am or pm.

My all-time record is when I was 16 or 17, and I went to bed at 1 a.m. and didn’t wake up until 6 pm. I, too, can’t believe my family let me sleep that long. When I woke up, I heard my dad downstairs on the phone ordering pizza. It was very puzzling to me how someone could order pizza at 6 in the morning, 'til I realized.

I had that on Sunday at 4:00 PM.

“Shit, is it Monday morning? No, wait. The sun wouldn’t be up at 4:00 AM.”