How reprehensible do YOU want to be in the Pit?

I never TRY to be “reprehensible.” That hasn’t stopped me from being given warnings (at least once by someone who, apparently, is no longer a moderator here). Story of my life, though - I’m the kind of person who tries his best to get along with others but still gets snapped at, lectured, and counseled while other people who, frankly, are comPLETE jerks, manage to go their whole life without ever getting slapped down. So be it.

Yep. Pit is fine how it is, and Miller does a good job of not over-modding. If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the Pitchen.

These are just words.

Heck, I’d vote to drop restrictions on flaming posters who’ve been banned. Fuck this “they’re not here to defend themselves” shit. It’s their own fault they’re not here. Keep the ATMB announcements of the bans short and neutral, but let the ripbutes run wild in the Pit.

Despite dearly departed Liberal’s laments, I think the mods quash that because it antagonizes bannees to sock up and defend themselves.

I’m not sure what changes I’d want but I do appreciate Miller’s discomfort in defending super shitty stuff. I guess a “no attacking intrinsic/unchangeable characteristics” type rule.

There was confusion as to the details.

I would strongly prefer you continue modding as before. I think certain things are reprehensible: talking about a person needing or having needed help with a mental or cognitive issue is beyond the pale for me, for example. But that would be a minefield to mod, or restrictions would be too broad for the pit to function. When posters go beyond the pale, other posters can and do call them out on it. That should be the control mechanism. The pit is different from other fora. And you can have a great time on the SDMB without ever being in the pit, if you are not comfortable with the goings on. There are chunks of time where I don’t want to read it, let alone participate. And then others when I do.

While Miller is a moderator, it strikes me that (his exploiting of his mod powers to sticky the thread aside), his intent as the OP was for his preferences to be treated the same as those of a non-staff OP.

Perfectly happy to be shown to be mistaken in this regard.

That said, yes he did express that preference, and I, for one, would prefer that it be respected.

ALSO that said, you’re free to report margin’s [what you appear to be implying] “infraction,” should the inspiration strike you, D’Anconia

I really enjoy the pit as it is, especially after the last rule change to bring back motherfucker. I’m not big on insulting other posters but I enjoy reading the threads here. I like the way Miller mods it currently and wouldn’t want a change. If anything I’d like the ATMB response to people bitching about getting their feelings hurt to be “stay out of the pit you pussy”.

For your amusement:
The Rules of Engagement

The basic theme is that one should be prepared for offensive posts when one enters the Pit and not complain that a snowball hit your head. One should still expect that no one will throw rocks.

The Pit is here to contain the nastiness to where it can be avoided if so desired, and maybe to reality check our upset. A Pit turning on the OP is such a check and happens with some frequency.

But again, not rocks.

There is no valid insult that include bringing in real world family issues or real world mental health issues.

Comments that would possibly be slander if associated with a real name, like stating someone molests children, are way over the line.

Personally I would love to see less boring angry venting and more entertaining invective when posters need to go off, but that I know is not a realistic hope.

You’re not very bright, are you? Why on earth would I report a post in the PIT, where (almost) anything goes?

Just spitballing here, but is it because you’re a prissy dumbfuck who affects sanctimony in lieu of wit?

Of course, I doubt you’d actually report a Pit post; just tongue-cluckingly imply that it would be nice if someone else did because it would be the moral thing to do or some such crap, but no-one would because this place is such a liberal echo-mind hive-chamber.

Well there was this,

but I can see how you might have missed it in the OP.

CMC fnord!

I cheerfully admit to missing it, too, or at least letting it slip my mind. In any case, trying to “reign” the Pit in is a bad idea and I register my disagreement with the suggestion.

Ed’s Pit Rules:

I agree that insults toward the posters themselves are fine, provided they’re not aiming at a sensitive area such as past trauma or mental health. That’s why I felt Shodan had crossed the line. I also did not report it, but I felt like it was potentially mod note/mod warning worthy, even though it was in the Pit. Huey Freeman’s attacks on Shodan’s children, even though they were directly impacted, fit into the same category because there’s no other purpose for the post other than to cause psychological distress (Huey’s posts toward Guinastasia were actually worse, IMO).

[Moderating]
Both of you knock it off. D’Anconia, of you don’t have anything better to do than snipe at other posters, don’t post in this thread.

No warnings this time.
[/Moderating]

I’m all for a fairly free-wheeling hands off approach - within limits.

Even when we are calling each other all sorts of things, there are limits.

Some people don’t know limits. They can be told off, treated in kind, or warned until they get with the program.

The worse ones are those who know but don’t give a damn (and keep getting away with crossing the line) or those who don’t give a damn but are expert at dancing all over the line (and getting away with it).

I think we all know a troll or a piece of garbage when we see one. The ones who do nasty egregious shit on a regular basis need (in my opinion) to be dealt with quicker and more ruthlessly sometimes.

Would you have posted Listen up, pedophiles!?