How should I respond to aggression

Not to excuse it, but there’s some context here - I think Sleepy Duck was riffing on Kobe Bryant’s recent ranting at a referee.

I have to agree with others, Imasquare - the son shouldn’t have gotten so aggressive with you, but you were kind of butting into business that wasn’t yours to butt into. I’d leave this family to their own dramas. Just have minimal contact with the son until you move out, and no contact at all afterwards.

You can’t control your external environment, only your reaction to it. The amount of reaction depends upon your expected accomplishment. What, exactly, do you expect to happen if his behavior is called out? Is it likely to be what you expect? Is it likely to be beneficial to you? Is it all a quixotic expectation of “justice” where none has evident before?

Putting myself in your shoes, I would not put up with it. Since I’m living in someone else’s house, AND it seems that he holds more favor than you, I’d simply find another place to live. Since you already will be doing that in two weeks, then you’re already on the solution. Unless you have good reason to believe you’ll encounter similar behavior within two weeks, there should be no reason to worry. I’m sure you’ve already been living there for more than two weeks without such confrontation in the past.

As for forgiving him, nothing requires that you do so. Nor must you do so for the sake of maintaining friendship with his family. If that is a requirement, then your friendship holds less importance than YOU do. Nothing requires that you end the friendship bitterly, nor even with any kind of announcement. Just start avoiding the family. If asked why, simply state your confrontation with him. If they immediately defend him, then you know your decision was correct. It’s quite likely that it will never even be an issue, though.

As for him seeing retribution or punishment for his actions, you’ve already stated that it’s unlikely. Why stress yourself further over something that will not be a future problem? Every single human encounter does not demand “justice”. A guiding precept in the martial arts is that “it’s not so important that you win; just that you don’t have to lose.”

Yes.

Yes maybe.

I’m trying to, believe me.

I think it’s time to move on.

If you can’t just pick up and leave their house, you’re no better than he is.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

A lot of you say I brought it upon myself and I agree. And of course not responding with more aggression of my own is excellent advice.

Luckily I am moving out next weekend, and in the meantime it’s as if nothing has happened.

Sounds like an excellent outcome all round then!

Eh, who among us has perfect integrity. Imasquare has probably been biting her tongue around this kid for years. Now, when she knows it’s over and she has nothing to lose, she vents a bit. And as for it not being her business, isn’t it to some degree? Based on her second post, she’s been an invaluable employee to his parents. And she’s not a freeloader; she works for room and board. Why shouldn’t she tell the kid he’s hurting his parents’ business?