How should terror attacks affect "unimportant" events?

This weekend, in London, a major Magic: the Gathering tournament is scheduled to take place. This event is the culmination of months of qualifier tournaments, with significant prizes, and a very large number of international attendees. The venue is on Warwick Road, which I’m given to understand is safely away from the events of the morning. Registration was to start today, with events beginning bright and early Friday.

One event at the venue has already been postponed. However, the tournament organizers have decided to proceed with the tournament as scheduled.

Is this a good thing? On one hand, it could very well be seen as insensitive and potentially dangerous, what with the chaos going on and the fear of more attacks. On the other hand, some respect the company MORE for not cancelling, seeing it as “not giving in to the terrorists,” and that all the organizers are doing is putting the decision to attend in the hands of the players, many of whom spent not insignificant amounts of time and money to attend, instead of the terrorists.

The whole situation brings to mind 9/11 (which, ironically, was the Tuesday after a major Magic tournament held at Madison Square Garden), when the Backstreet Boys decided to NOT cancel a concert around the same time, the logic being that their fans had enough to be depressed about without losing the chance to see their favorite group. Where do you stand on this?

The best response to terror is to move ahead with your life and not let it disrupt too much. I say they should play.

Enjoy,
Steven

Transport will probably be very difficult for the foreseeable future. This may well have an impact on any event planned for central London. London is geographically a big place and a lot will depend on the event’s location - it may well be a long way from the city centre/center.

The authorities may request people to avoid unnecessary travel in central London to assist with the expected difficulties created by the lack of Tube and Bus services. I haven’t yet heard whether they have done this.

Basically, if the transport situation can be worked around and the authorities do not have a problem with the event continuing, then it should go ahead. Where possible life should go on as normal.

This is not a hypothetical for me - I am due to go to London next week on business. I do not intend to cancel my trip. (Of course if the authorities in the city do ask for non-essential trips to be cancelled, I will comply with the request - I’ll still go to the UK, but I can avoid London if necessary.)

I entirely agree, and this appears to be the common sentiment.

As to transport – well, travel into and around London is frequently pretty fucked up under ordinary circumstances; the information available so far suggests that things won’t be much worse than “normal.”

As an illustration of the mood: a number of UK members of the snopes message board have been planning a get-together in London this Saturday. This is an entirely trivial event – an excuse to meet on-line acquaintances and have few beers – and could easily have been postponed to another date or moved to another location. By mid-afternoon yesterday, they had already decided to go ahead as planned.

For anyone who is interested, they did play. Nearly a full day has been played and as far as I can tell everyone who was going to show did. The organizer has a website which mentions that Friday’s gaming started off a bit subdued but it picked up a bit later on.

Enjoy,
Steven

Terrorism is nothing new to Britain. The attitude has always been to not let it disrupt anything more than it has to. By Monday, London will be back to normal, save for a few stops on the Picadilly & Circle lines. Cancelling events because people can’t get there is one thing. Randomly cancelling them ‘out of respect’ seems thoroughly unnecessary & inappropriate.