How this long break has affected the MCU

I was just thinking about how this long break, imposed by the pandemic, has affected the MCU. On the one hand, had we need to wait this long, lets say between Infinity War and Endgame, there would have been much more tension, spoilers, etc during the wait. On the other hand, had there not been such a long gap before Black Widow was released, it might have reduced the weightiness of the Endgame finale (ignoring Far From Home).

And all that isn’t even discussing how the death of Chadwick Boseman earlier would have affected the franchise. Thoughts?

The MCU was quite “fortunate” in the timing of the pandemic. In addition to wrapping up most of their storylines before it hit, the existing films have had a near-captive audience on streaming services to maintain interest in the franchise until new productions are feasible.

I was actually just thinking about this very thing yesterday in the shower.

The MCU had some major momentum built up, even their not so good movies were still pretty darn good (compared to DC movies).

If “Black Widow” is mediocre (or even bad) when it’s finally released will that turn people off of future MCU movies?

And I’m curious how this affects release dates for future MCU movies. To my knowledge there hasn’t been any filming on the next MCY movies. Is that correct, or am I mis-informed?

MtM

They’re filming the new Spider-Man and the new Doctor Strange. Thor is supposed to starting filming in January.

They’ve already filmed Eternals and Shang-Chi.

It’s shaping up to be quite a deluge of content over the next couple years, assuming things go as planned. I think the current plan is to release Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals, and Spider-Man in 2021, and then Thor and Dr. Strange in the first quarter of 2022. Plus, there are 4 Disney+ series set for 2021, and another 4 in 2022.