How to find a song when you only have lyrics, or can you name this song?

My great grandmother died recently, about 4 months ago, and my grandmother whom I live with remembers this song, but only the name & lyrics. I’ve tried googling several different phrases concerning this, but I can’t seem to get any relevent hits.

Some background, this song was sung to my grandmother when she was just a young child. Early 30’s, but if my great grandmother knew it, born in 1908, it could be much older.

I really would appreciate any information any of you may know about it, or any sites that can search by title, or lyrics. I’m at a complete loss. Thanx in advance :).

Well, since you say you already Googled it…

It’s important to remember that pop music produces many duds that don’t make it into the “Top 100 Hits” collections of sheet music, and pop music at the turn of the century was no different from pop music today. For every “She’s Only A Bird In A Gilded Cage”, there were probably dozens of songs like your grandma’s song that were published but that never caught on and became a “standard”, so they disappeared without a trace, remembered only by a few people.

Also, it’s important to remember that not everything is on the Web. The best example, for me, of “why aren’t these song lyrics on the Web?” is the song “9 to 5” from the movie. Not on the Web.

So you might check out some serious music history stuff, like at the public library.

I’ve been googling around and can’t find anything either. However, here is a message forum for people interested in early 20th century parlor songs. Maybe someone there can help!

BTW, you’ll usually get a better response regarding music questions in “Cafe Society.”

Good luck!

DDG, I was intrigued by the challenge of finding “9 to 5” on the web. So, here it is!

Cool! Thanks… :slight_smile:

…now that I no longer need it to prove a point… :rolleyes:

:smiley: