How to fix screw that keeps falling out of my glasses

I solved this problem with my glasses by using a slightly larger screw. Glasses repair kits are sold with many different sizes of replacement screws.

I used a garbage bag twist tie wire with the paper part stripped off. You can’t see it and it works. I got tired of having to drive to the optician’s every time a screw fell out and got lost. I had glasses for 5 years that got beat up terribly and the screws rarely fell out. My newest pairs have had the screws fall out numerous times, the first times within a month of purchase. I highly doubt that they are making better screws these days.

If anyone’s interested, the proper Loctite for this use is the purple 222MS.

I had this problem for years and years, then I upgraded to a better, more expensive brand. The new screws do not come out, no matter what. Something in the design of the screws prevents them from loosening. I don’t know why all brands aren’t like that.

Perhaps, but I didn’t have any copper wire on me at the time, but I did have a paperclip and a needle-nosed pliers (this rendering the harder metal workable).

The problem with a lens screw is that once it loosens at all, the lens starts to move around in the frame a little, which bends the frame slightly, which means no matter how much you tighten the screw, the two sides of the frame will never quite sit flush again, which means the screw can’t be fully tightened, which means the whole process starts all over again…

Related question: If the barrel has been stripped, is there anything that can be done about that?

You can re-drill it if there’s enough frame and use a bigger screw, or use a bigger self-tapping screw sometimes, but generally, no.

My optician recommended this also for my last pair, for which the screws fell out all the time (including in the middle of Alaska). My current pair has been fine.

I recommend buying a glasses repair kit for a few bucks. I never go anywhere without mine anymore. Especially good if you can’t find the damn screw.

Superglue will work, but you migyt want to apply it to both the top and bottom of the screw. As for your new pair, if the loose screw happened a lot, short of poping out, you might want to check about changing the shape your temples (the “legs” of the glass that go to the ear). I have a wide head and pulled my spring hinges to the max and loosened screws. I broke one hinge recently and when both temples were replaced the optican curved them to relieve the stress on the new spring hinges. Also, brands matter somewhat. My previous glasses (from my optometrist) lasted 10 years under the stress, but the new pair (lenscrafters) which I had repaired last barely a year.