How to identify a melody

I’m not sure how to go about getting this answered, and I wonder if anyone has an idea. I’m trying to trace down the origin of a simple tune. Everyone I’ve hummed it to knows exactly what it is, but no one (including some pretty music-savvy folks) knows where it comes from.

The melody is familiar because it’s almost the prototypical “middle eastern” tune you hear in cartoons and such. Since I know little about musical notation, I went to a site that has a simple online simulated keyboard, and messed around with it until I came up with this as the best estimate of what the melody sounds like:

C D #D D C C D #D G D #D C
(the bolded notes are 1/4 notes, the rest are 1/8ths)

I hope that’s enough for someone to identify it, cause I’m out of ideas.

Looks like “There’s a place in France, where the naked ladies dance…”
I don’t know the real name for it, though.

Yep, I recognize the tune and nope, I don’t know what it’s called or where it’s from.

Go to the Mudcat Cafe forum page and post your question. I’d be surprised if you don’t get a knowledgeable answer within a day.

Streets of Cairo? There’s a MIDI file of it available on this page.

“Oh, they don’t wear pants on the sunny side of France.”

Yes, that’s the one.

I thought so, too. But, the notes as written in the OP don’t quite fit the melody. Almost, but not quite. So, I wasn’t entirely sure this is the song he meant, although the description fits.

For your future melody identification needs: Musipedia.

Wow, what a great site!

That’s because the OP was written by a musical ignoramus who was happy he was able to pick out even that much of a tune on a simulated keyboard.

Thanks, everyone.

Musipedia is a great idea, but I have never been able to identify a single melody with it.