How to make good fried rice?

Does any Doper have a recipe for good fried rice? Those packets you can buy at the grocery store can’t come close. Also, what’s the secret for making the rice so golden? I WAG they cook the rice, and then sautee it? That’s the only way I can imagine they can soften the rice and brown it. Can someone clue me in? - Jinx

Uh, Jinx, baby, you’re aware that this sort of thread isn’t really GQ material, aren’t you?

How’s about I move it for you before bibliophage or manhattan finds it and grinds on your instep for a while?

Now then. Yes, you start with cold cooked rice, which you should break up and separate with your hands.

Heat peanut oil smoking hot in your wok. Throw in your rice and stir-fry over high heat, turning the rice in a folding motion with the spatula. Stir in cooked meat and/or vegetables and/or a beaten raw egg…when heated through, quickly blend in a mixture of soy sauce, sherry, and a little sugar. That’s where the gold color comes from.

You’ll probably get all sorts of recipes that you should definitely try, but the fundamental secret is this: Never use fresh rice. Cook the rice and leave it overnight in the refrigerator. The next day, break up the clumps, saute some garlic, pour the rice in. Keep stirring to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan. If you can get this, plain fried rice, you’ll be able to cook any of the fancier types.

Previous thread on topic:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151221

In addition to the cold rice comments above, use a hot wok (if you’ve got one) and work fast!, especially when you get to the egg part. You want that egg to separate into little pieces and mingle with the rest of the ingredients, not turn into a goopy rice omlette.

But really, cold rice is the key.

Yep, cook the rice the day before and bung it in the fridge.

On the day, stir-fry up some bacon bits, some chicken (then shred it) some pork (shredded afterwards, too) cook some egg (and break it up into small bits after it’s cooked) and maybe some ham.

Then take the rice, chuck it in a pan with some powdered chicken stock and fry it up. Go easy on the oil, too much oil and it will turn gluggy very quickly. Add some garlic. Add the other stuff you cooked, and some frozen peas and corn and simmer while stirring occasionally, until it’s all mixed and warmed through. Yummy :slight_smile:

Thanks all. I wouldn’t have thought of this as “Cafe Society” material because it DOES have a factual answer, does it not?

I fail to understand: Just who are manhattan and
bibliophage??? …As opposed to Ukulele Ike? You guys really need to expand the Boards to cover more specialized topics. I mean, does cooking really fit into Cafe Society? - Jinx

For as long as I can remember, everyone in my family makes stir fried rice with Chinese sausage, which can be found at any Asian food market. At restaurants, it’s the little reddish pieces of meat that are really really really good. Here’s what it looks like in case you haven’t seen it before. It’ll need to be cut into thin slices and fried before adding it to the rice. I highly recommend it :slight_smile: