How to make WinXP Professional "release" my IP address

Lat night my cable modem went offline (first time in a while). This morning it was back online, but I couldn’t connect to the internet. In the Systray was a connectivity icon with an exclamation point on it. I clicked it and it told me I had little or no connectivity. I was send packets, but not receiving any. I called the ISP (Comcast) and was told that there were some problems in my area, but we ran diagnostics and the modem appeared to be functioning correctly and I would have to reinstall my OS (this happened on my last computer running WinME and doing so did reconnect me). After a long wait with Dell (I will be ranting to them about their call center. If I can’t understand the person helping me, I can’t get good help). After reinstalling the OS, drivers, and so forth, I am still unable to get through. In other words, I wasted my time (and lost some data - my fault). I called Comcast back again and we did some tests. The guy tells me the OS is not releasing my IP address. The IP address it shows is a diagnostic one. I was told it may take several cold boots and modem resetting to get things right.

Can anyone help me with this?
I am currently running a horrifyingly slow dial-up.

Try this. :wink:

Unplug your cable modem’s power cord for several minutes if you haven’t already done so.

Go to a command prompt and type the following commands:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If it doesn’t pick up an address then the cable modem may not be recognizing your computer’s MAC address. You can get this by typing
ipconfig /all
and looking on the Physical Address line. Give this number to Comcast’s tech support and see if they can configure the modem to recognize it.

…and argue with the next Comcast bozo who tells you reinstalling your OS is a good troubleshooting technique. :slight_smile:

I did that. Several times. This is how I know the IP address shown is a diagnostic one.

It starts with “169.-----” and it should start with “65.—” according to the Comcast guy.

Well the possible scenarios are that you have a bad network card, a bad cable, or a bad modem.

If you have another piece of Cat5 lying around you could try swapping it with the cable between your computer and the modem. If not, check the ends of the piece you’re using. Wiggle them and make sure they’re not loose.

Are there any other computers that you could connect? If one of them can pick up an IP then your machine probably has a bad NIC.

Since Comcast mentioned problems then I’d be inclined to suspect the modem. Going through the preceding steps may help convince them to take it back and repair it.

I don’t have another cable. I have not moved a thing since the cable modem went out last night. Through talking w/Dell, it was determined that the network card is okay. I do have another card I could install.

I may have to use my old computer.

The modem (RCA DCM305R) is mine. I bought it a couple of years ago (it was $80 w/a $80 rebate from Radio Shack) and, up to now, it has never been a problem.

While it’s possible that there might be something wrong with the modem, the problem is most likely with Comcrap. The only problem is getting Comcrap to admit it.

I used to have AT&T Broadband (which was bought out by Comcrap) and I experienced a cable modem outage. They blamed my OS, then my NIC, then my router. Since I do IT support, I had answers they wanted ready for them, as I had already tried everything possible on my end. I had swapped cables, tried another computer, and tried a friend’s modem. Nothing worked.

After two days, my problem was finally kicked up to level 3 tech support who found out that - golly gee, who knew? - the problem was indeed on Comcrap’s end. 30 seconds after they figured that out, they remotely restarted their piece of faulty equipment and everything was fine again.

I called Comcrap back. This time I got a service agent who wasn’t an idiot.

Apparently the server I am attached to is either being overrun by users or there’s been a denial of service attack.

Either way, traffic is being rerouted in fits and starts until the faulty server can be repaired or replaced. He assured me (and I take that with a metric tonne of salt) that I should be able to get back online tomorrow. He said that the problem will cause my OS to create its own IP address. As soon as the problem is fixed, I should get a correct address.

Until then, I’ll be kicking myself for overlooking certain bits of data I didn’t backup. :smack: