How was Bl. Mother Teresa evil?

I am not converting to Catholicism, but I have studied it - at least the faithful side of it - in some depth.

If someone is offended by the sainthood process, they ought to start their own thread about it. This thread is not about the sainthood process at all.

To faithful Catholics, canonization is a very dear process. They believe in it. They are loyal to it (somewhat). For faithful Catholics, the matter of saints is a major issue. I don’t think it’s polite or respectful to make fun of something people hold very dear. It smacks of ignorance of what value it has for many people.

As far as people and their opinions are concerned: it has been my experience that people actively resist any correction of their beliefs. They also actively defend their beliefs when threatened or attacked. Oftentimes, their arguments become nothing more than, “It’s true. That’s that.”

Indeed, people can change, but there are also very active subconscious forces within society to preserve the beliefs and ideas it teaches. To think anyone can simply be exposed to alternative views and embrace them is a bit unrealistic. Religious people have been trying to convert the non-religious, and vice versa, with little success on both sides. It’s all a battle of ideas.

Anaamika - this is for you.

WRS

when I posted the above about the
hagiographic process
it was not my intent to offend any Catholics. Of course,
no Catholics I have known were completely humorless,
even on (perhaps especially on) the subject of their
religion. (In fact, none complained about the above.)

hagiographic process
religion. (In fact, none complained about the above, but I’m sure they’re glad to have you as the guardian of what they should find offensive and as their self-appointed defender.)

hagiographic process
religion. (In fact, none complained about the above, but I’m sure they’re glad to have you as the guardian of what they should find offensive and as their self-appointed defender.)

Suggesting: rather than continuing to bump this thread to complain about me, why not open one in the Pit? I’ve never been pitted and would be deeeelighted to join you there.

Sorry about the triple post- on my end it was stalling and I didn’t think it had uploaded.

I acknowledge that their are issues here I don’t understand, but I’d say Benedectine’s waiving of the five year waiting period for his predecessor goes beyond somewhat.

Simply a response to the demands of “Santo Subito.” Not to mention it also involves probably his own belief that the Candidate is a saint.

WRS

Strangely enough, every time I realize Ratzinger is the pope now, I NEED a Benedictine. Or a Jack Daniels. Either one, really…

What exactly does this mean? Why exactly was it necessary to skip the five year waiting period?

I thought the Pope was supposed to decide this only after the five year waiting period, three miracles attributed to intercessary prayer, and the devil’s advocate arguing the anti side. Has Benedictine decided to ignore all that as well?

DocCathode,

The reigning Pope has chosen the name of “Benedict,” not “Benedictine.” “Benedictine” means “of or pertaining to Benedict,” usually referring to St. Benedict of Nursia, who founded what is commonly known as the Benedictine Order.

Additionally, your other comments are addressed here.

WRS

First, I was raised a Catholic, though I’m no longer practicing, and I can tell you that Sampiro’s little joke was NOT offensive to Catholics, all right? Catholics make jokes about their faith all the time.

Second, since the canonization process IS very important, perhaps some are upset that JP II and now Benny 16 have decided to ignore some very key steps? Since canonization isn’t something done on a whim, Catholics SHOULD be concerned about the ramifications of this speeding up the process. Is it because of popularity? If so, it shouldn’t be. If it’s politics, doubly so.

Stop trying to speak for Catholics.