How would "biological wheels" work??

Hi Everyone!

Of all the forms of locomotion evolved by all of the known animal species (prehistoric and present-day) on planet Earth (swimming, crawling, hopping, etc.), none have yet evolved a “biological wheel”.

By the term “biological wheel”, I don’t mean animals who roll themselves into a ball and then roll down a hill.

I’m thinking of something more complex, perhaps like something in a socket like a leg or arm (or something to that effect.)

What kind of “biological mechanism” would have to be evolved in order for an animal to have wheels as a part of their natural physiology?

Anatomically, how could such a physical body part work?

Just because it hasn’t appeared in nature doesn’t mean that it’s impossible, does it?

I think that it would be really neat to speculate on how something like this would work!

Didn’t Cecil answer this?

Maybe they would work like these little chaps. With my knowledge of German I can just about puzzle through the Dutch text.

Escher solved the axle problem by imagining the entire creature to be one large wheel.

Like a scaled up Flagellum, with the tail fused into a circle?

I read a book years ago where the main character was a genius geneticist who designed custom critters. One of them had wheels. No Axle, just pegs on the main torso. The lubricant for the hub doubled as a nutrient for the wheel portion. I don’t think the author addressed the issue of tactile feedback from the wheel to the body.

Retief, a diplomat with the Corps Diplomatique Terrestrienne, encountered wheeled aliens in Retief’s War: