How would "biological wheels" work??

Hi Everyone!

Of all the forms of locomotion evolved by all of the known animal species (prehistoric and present-day) on planet Earth (swimming, crawling, hopping, etc.), none have yet evolved a “biological wheel”.

By the term “biological wheel”, I don’t mean animals who roll themselves into a ball and then roll down a hill.

I’m thinking of something more complex, perhaps like something in a socket like a leg or arm (or something to that effect.)

What kind of “biological mechanism” would have to be evolved in order for an animal to have wheels as a part of their natural physiology?

Anatomically, how could such a physical body part work?

Just because it hasn’t appeared in nature doesn’t mean that it’s impossible, does it?

I think that it would be really neat to speculate on how something like this would work!

Didn’t Cecil answer this?

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_209.html

Maybe they would work like these little chaps. With my knowledge of German I can just about puzzle through the Dutch text.

Escher solved the axle problem by imagining the entire creature to be one large wheel.

Like a scaled up Flagellum, with the tail fused into a circle?

I read a book years ago where the main character was a genius geneticist who designed custom critters. One of them had wheels. No Axle, just pegs on the main torso. The lubricant for the hub doubled as a nutrient for the wheel portion. I don’t think the author addressed the issue of tactile feedback from the wheel to the body.

Retief, a diplomat with the Corps Diplomatique Terrestrienne, encountered wheeled aliens in Retief’s War: