How would Space War work with today's technology?

A zero-gee slapfight would be fun to watch! :slight_smile:

I’ll suggest tethering the participants together.

OK, but with rubber bands!

I’d have thought dropping some sort of proximity mine into another vessel’s path would do a job. If by some miracle the vessel is well enough shielded to withstand a blast then it the blast would surely deflect the vessel off on a tangent.

Minefields are always fun, but you do have to assume your target is not scanning for them, or for some reason couldn’t shoot them.

Would stealth techniques work in space? Can’t see why not.

Hmm. The velocities would be much different. I wonder how radar deals with very high speed objects.

Heat signatures might be more apparent since there’s no atmosphere to diffuse it. Sonic signatures probably won’t spread very well. Optical identification may or may not be harder depending on ambient lighting.

This seems to be the most likely thing that would come of a space war of any kind. A wasted orbital zone, trapping us on this planet even longer.

Some reasons why not:
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacewardetect.php

You probably don’t really need stealth. Lots of high speed projectiles can’t be avoided even if you spot them. If there’s a Death Star out there, there isn’t much we could do with current technology anyway. We might luck out and find an unprotected modem connection on the ship like in Independence Day though.

Well some missile launch systems work like that. Others shoot a missile out of a fixed tube, which would have recoil. But of course we can design the missile launch system your way. The drawbacks there are all your ammunition has to be carried outside your ship. This lead to not many shots being available. So, If you want to be able to fire hundreds, you have to shoot them out from inside the ship; but of course we could always design bays that open and robotic arms get them out. None of the missile launch systems we use today on earth seem ideal; we’d need to tweak any of them.

Every task a computer does is simple if you break it down far enough. It’s not the simplicity of the act that the computer does, it’s how damn much it has to do, and it seems to me if your firing shitloads of projectiles then you’d need shitloads of corrections.

With no aerodynamic problems, I don’t see why you couldn’t have many of them outside the ship.

You would love David Weber’s Honor Harrington series, available free at Baen.com.

Clever!

Worse yet, there is no “blast”. A non-contact mine would need a directional weapon.

As prior posts show, the topic is too broad. Each strategic/tactical environment (earth orbit, the “Gingrich” base, L4/L5, interplanetary) needs to be separately considered. For example, a base on Europa would be vulnerable to interruption of food resupply, so the solution would presumably involve a non-space action (nuke the terrestrial launch pads). Maybe a better topic would be to explore what conditions would be conducive to space war.

How effective would nuclear weapons be in space, beyond almost direct hits? Without an atmosphere (and thus something to carry a shock wave) wouldn’t the majority of the damaging effect be negated?

I’d think that radioactive atomic particles would travel further without an atmosphere.

A small nuclear warhead might be effective against a hardened target. Otherwise, kinetic or HE warheads would do the job cheaper. I expect the main use would be in bomb-pumped x-ray lasers.

Re: armor. Habitats are going to need radiation shielding, which could serve as ablative armor. It has been proposed to rail-gun launch moon soil to L5 to use as shielding. Unconsolidated materials are effective in absorbing impact shock.