Human Genetics & Family Resemblance Question

Is Teaching Your Daughter Racism? Briefly, this thread asks if a (white) father, wanting his daughter to spawn a child who resembles him, is racist if he suggests his daughter not marry a black man. (I think he is but that discussion is best left for the original thread in Great Debates.)

My questions: would his wish come true if his daughter did marry someone who closely resembled the him? Based on human genetics, what are the chances that no matter what choices the daughter makes, her child would not resemble her father?

From what little I can remember from college anthro class, there are so many possibilities that it’s a miracle that anyone looks like their parents or other family members! There are literally millions of possible combinations, aren’t there?

Well, there is at least the big chance that no matter what choices the daughter makes, her child will have some characteristics in common with his/her grandfather or grandfather’s family. This is thanks to the genes given by the mother which are not completely masked by those given by the father, whoever he may be.